Explore the Rock Painted Rocks

My work hosts a summer hiking program for youth. It is called “Explore the Rock” since our island is known as “the rock.” This year it is a self-directed program where we post the route and details and participants have a week to go out with their families and hike the trails. As part of the program, we paint rocks and hide them along the trails. There are instructions on the back and if the youth sends in a picture or video of them doing the task, they get points towards a reward.

This was my first time painting rocks. I used paint pens. While drawing/painting is intimidating to me, I’m happy with how they turned out. I hope the kids enjoy finding them.

Here are all the rocks. I’ve got close-ups of most of them below.

These rocks are a shout out to my childhood:
Scuppers The Sailor Dog

The Puffin from the poem “There Once was a Puffin. . .”

I had fun drawing some Alaska animals:

Red Squirrel

Musk Ox

Raven

Salmon

Belted Kingfisher (inspiration/original image here)

And I’m grateful to AlaskaRobotics who I copied for these designs:

Steller Sea Lion

Garbage Bears

The original artwork has black bears, but I changed it to brown bears since we only have Kodiak bears here.

Climb a Mountain

27 Likes

They turned out great!

1 Like

A bit of local knowledge in your painted rocks! I love all the animals you did…the bear holding onto the mountain is adorable!

I also love Scuppers!!!

2 Likes

How fun! These are wonderful! Love the puffin one!

1 Like

I think it’s a tree.

Great rocks! I’d love to see the instructions on back!

1 Like

I would be so stoked to find one of these!

2 Likes

What a cool idea! And your rocks turned out awesome!

2 Likes

I was thrown off by her title…Climb a Mountain… :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing that out. It must be a mountain that looks like a tree.
:blush:

1 Like

Sounds like a very fun program.
The rocks turned out great!

1 Like

These are just marvelous! :heart:

1 Like

Wow- just fabulous!

1 Like

Love these! I’m intimidated by painting too, but you did a great job!

1 Like

lol or vice versa! No matter…it is cute…it can be whatever the imagination wants…

1 Like

It is a mountain :slightly_smiling_face: . . .the original image had snow capped mountains; however, our mountains aren’t high enough to keep the snow all summer. I made the mountains green, but I can see how they look like trees!

1 Like

Love these!

1 Like

This takes me back to fourth grade. I did a picture and colored the sky gold; Teacher said, “the sky is blue,” and gave me a D.
30 years later, there was a picture with a gold sky in an art gallery; I started to cry.
A couple decades more, and I’m muttering to myself, “It must be a tree, it’s green!”
I gotta keep prying that old teacher out of my head.

Pablo Picasso said, “ Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” I’m working on it.

2 Likes

The sailor dog is just the best!

1 Like

Your rocks are fantastic!

I thought you must be my neighbour when you said your island is called The Rock but I discovered you’re on the other side of the continent. I live on Prince Edward Island, Canada, and we call Newfoundland The Rock here.

1 Like

:trophy: Yahoo! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :trophy:

2 Likes