Fabric origami butterflies

These are little butterflies, made of scrap fabric. They started with fabric rectangles of about 4.5"X5 there are loads of tutorials online. A pretty quick make, I’ve no idea what I’ll do with them, but I guess they’d work as a broach (is that how you spell that word? It looks weird)

Back

21 Likes

Ooh, I should try these! They would be cute on my scrappy rope wreath.

4 Likes

Those are so sweet! What a great idea.

1 Like

Ooh these are cute. Are they small enough to go on a hair tie? I have a few nieces who may like them.

(It’s spelled ‘brooch’ which I think looks equally weird!)

3 Likes

Very cute, and I agree they’d make cute hair ties, or possibly tree ornaments? Ooooh, or fridge magnets!!

1 Like

Definitely, they are about 3.5" or so across the width. But you could make them smaller by staying with a small square. (Brooch definitely weird)

@Lynx they would look fabulous on your rope wreath. Alongside kanzashi flowers.

4 Likes

Very cool way to use up small pieces of fabric! I could see a really cool MAQ done with these!

These are gorgeous. You could make a pretty baby mobile with them! If you have any baby showers to go to or anything.

1 Like

These are adorable and you ladies have thought of great ways to use them.

1 Like

Those are really cool and I love that they can be worked up from scrap fabrics. One could use them as a 3D element in prayer flags or a quilt top.

1 Like

Yes, a brooch. That’s what I made from the one fabric butterfly I folded. I pinned it to a bag as an embellishment. I swear I had to make that thing 5 or 6 times to get it looking right. You did a beautiful job with these. They would make amazing abandonable art.

3 Likes

They are cute. And everyone has such good ideas. I’d probably take them to work and stick on my bulletin board in my cube for some color and cheer.

1 Like

Really pretty! I love them both. And I googled broah/brooch, because why not, and discovered that:

Since the 13th century, both brooch and broach have been used to refer to the jewelry, so castigating those who write about wearing broaches is quite unfair.

But of course they do have different meaning

We can summarize all this easily then: use brooch for the jewelry, and broach as a verb for introducing topics. Pronounce them the same (or not).

Ok, done, sorry for the extra info which is most likely not needed XD But the butterflies are still cool :smiley:

4 Likes

I love etymology, it’s the coolest!

1 Like

Cool! I love word meanings too.

To compound the spelling, there is also an engineering tool called a broach. And I use it as an example in some of my teaching.

1 Like

Some words can mean so many different things, I am a member of several different groups and a word meaning something in one group has a completely different meaning in the other, I just have to stop myself from snickering when it’s a funny word XD

1 Like

Your fabric origami butterflies are so well made!
They would be lovely as embellishments on a bag or purse :slight_smile:

1 Like

I received office bling from Edel! They are in my cubicle and make me smile.

7 Likes

They look great with your hilarious collection :laughing:

1 Like

They look fab there

1 Like