Face mask pattern reviews, please add your suggestions

What is the pattern for the fitted mask you’ve made the most? Can you link it here please? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used the same one @TheMistressT used but we both sort of constructed it the way that made more sense to us…Fitted Face Mask

3 Likes

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

After looking through lots of tutorials I opted for the fitted mask. The tutorial I found includes both versions of a mask, fitted or pleated.
I wanted to make one with elastics because I thought it would be easier for the kiddos to put them on themselves and the straps wouldn’t slip out of position that easily. Also I was looking for a mask without wire.
For the lining I used molton cotton which is like a cotton fleece which we usually use to line the cradle. It’s super soft and absorbs liquids very well.
It took me about ten minutes to finish one mask, including cutting. Most of the tutorials for a pleated mask I’ve found include a lot of ironing and to be honest that’s something I find really annoying and time consuming - I’m so lazy :smile: Just kidding, I just don’t like it for quick projects.
I’ll make more of these masks but I want to try to insert a wire (or a pleated mask) because my sunglasses always fog up when I wear the mask.

2 Likes

I really like this pattern! It was EASY. She has a ton of sizes for the pattern but I used the adult medium and it fits really well. It can be made from cotton cut on the bias or a tshirt. It’s also really comfortable in comparison to the ones with elastic.

I did find a pattern for ear savers that can be made for the ones with elastic. This pattern is for an embroidery machine but could very easily be done with a regular machine or as a no sew

Mask Extender

1 Like

I have been seeing those on pinterest, they look interesting and like they can be laundered.

I’ve tweaked the HK pattern which is very similar to the one you have been using @AIMR and @TheMistressT, but simplified.

This is the HK mask pattern which I’ve altered by adding to the outer edges and creating a 2 piece pattern, rather than 4. The stitching is greatly reduced as well. Here’s the longer post explaining how I did it, I hope someone will give it a try and let me know how it goes. I will have fun tweaking it to incorporate any suggestions.

Here it is on Rob’s face. Ya, he’s cute and I know it :smile:.

2 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

Please beta test for me? I think the corners might give people trouble.

I’ve not tried it yet, so cant comment on the pattern, but I’ve got this one to try
Beebe Healthcare pattern
It was designed by a nurse and is quite similar to other HK type masks, but cut on a fold to avoid the stitch line down the centre.
I am aim to try it out later, so I’ll let you know what I think when I’ve done it.

1 Like

This pattern is exactly the modification I needed to save on elastic and finish the ends…@magpie…check out how she does the ends…you could modify your pattern by simply leaving the ends open and fold them in and encase the ties or elastic and topstitch…the sides would have to be smaller as you would lose the gathering abilities of the elastic when strung through…

1 Like

It’s similar to others I’ve seen, like this one which I have in my files to try. It has the same issues as many others though, the edges are folded over in such a way that you end up with multiple layers of fabric. I’m not sure that filter pocket is necessary either, at first I considered that essential but I think the addition of a layer of non-woven material, either fusible or non fusible interfacing, is more than equal to a separate filter. Plus, many are reporting that they aren’t bothering with the filter, it’s too much trouble, makes breathing difficult, and, worst of all, changes the fit of the mask so they are fiddling with it. Also, how do you insert and change the filter without contaminating things? And why take out a middle piece, isn’t it inside so it stays clean? In which case, why make it removable at all and not just a permanent part of the mask that can be washed and dried along with the shell?

These are all questions I would love to hear everybody’s take on. I have learned so much from your opinions already!

I gave up on the filter as well…people are not going to use something that is difficult or cumbersome to use…they can always slip in a paper towel or other filter if they want and throw it out…for shopping that takes 20-1 hour, it is not comfortable at all…

My brother hates the two bands around the head…he wants ear things with a band…my sister has devised a velcro one for hers that I am going to try…

So many options…but with everyone collaborating, we will get to a near perfect one for most people!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check this out! It is a bit more complicated but not much, and it could be done with something elasticy or just a ribbon/twill tape.

Now that was scary to see so many face masks and options…guess it means this is here to stay for a while…seriously, we are all going to have to learn to recognize each other with just our eyes showing…I am depressed now…

2 Likes

I made a mask, using the pattern I posted earlier.
I made a small one for DS2. It took ages, but that was because I had 2 phone calls, then we needed to go out, lunch time, blah, blah, so although it took most of the day, actually it was quite quick.
I didn’t bother with the t-shirt piece, doubt he’ll wear it out, let alone with a filter in it.

I really like that there is no centre seam in the middle, just at top and bottom to create the shape.
I made ties from the sleeve of an out grown t-shirt, using the cuff so I didn’t have to neaten. I cut strips just over an inch wide, pulled them to make them curl, then zigzagged over them to stop them unrolling.

Here he is testing it out. Just need to do a few more, and teach them both how to use them properly.

5 Likes

Looks good! And I’ve had that fabric before!

1 Like

Good work! Looks like it fits great.

I’ve posted a tutorial for making t-shirt yarn here in case anybody wants to use that for behind the head ties. You could experiment with thinner strips for behind the ear, it doesn’t seem very comfy for that at the 1" width I usually cut it.

Ok, I have been working on a pattern most of the day based on this video and using this sort of tie with some tweaks to better finish the edges and cut down on the amount of sewing.

It is the easiest, quickest mask I have made so far. It does have an optional filter pocket but I`m going to take that out and add a permanent layer because the more I read, the less need I see for some removable layer rather than something integral to the mask itself.

The man didn’t like how it felt as much as a fitted mask does, he said it pressed on his nose. I’ll take time to make fitted masks for family and close friends but as far as mass producing goes, this is going to be the one.

I`ll work up a pattern and instructions and post them soon. I look forward to your feedback if you try it yourself!

I’ve seen that video and I like that it’s just one piece of fabric.

I really want to try the Olsen/fitted mask style but I’ve been intimidated. I did like this video for giving a nice visual walkthrough of it. Makes it seems a little more approachable vs the written tutorial. My biggest issue is that it seems so much work time wise with cutting.

1 Like

I used this pattern for the nine masks I made. But I shortened the elastic for the ears as they were way too loose - 5.5" for the kids, 6" for ladies and 6.5" for mens. I added a half a pipe cleaner for the nose wire (if you have an up and a down on your pattern remember to make your turning gap at the bottom!). I also used a 4.5" strip of heavy sew in interfacing (I read somewhere don’t use iron on, not sure why) from top to bottom as a built in filter. This is wide enough to cover nose and mouth but doesn’t add to the bulk that needs pleating. I also used flannel as the back layer to make it softer. It was a bit hot to start with when I wore it grocery shopping, but that feeling didn’t last long as I got used to it.

1 Like