Felt badge - rainbow mountain

Made for the wonderful @Abbeeroad in the recent felt badge swap, well unofficially since we paired up after the deadline so we could have each other as an extra partner.

I punched various sized holes in wool felt with this tool my dad gave me. It’s a leather punch usually used to make belt holes. I love this thing, it’s a great hole puncher for anything & it reaches pretty far past the edge of whatever.

Then I positioned felt colours to show through the holes.

Raided the bead bin & embroidery thread boxes for allthecolours. Rob picked out the sunshine button.

At first I outlined the mountains with white thread but I didn’t like it & had to snip & pick all the stitches out.

I think black is subtle but better.

Loosely based on this dotty painting

24 Likes

You never cease to amaze. This is flippin’ gorgeous!

3 Likes

Really cool, with all the holes!

2 Likes

Amazing…especially since you left out the part about sewing on a ton of beads…wow…

4 Likes

So much beautiful detail in such a small space! I love the reverse applique.

2 Likes

It’s almost mesmerizing, as your eyes find all the holes & balances the beads vs holes. Love!

2 Likes

Hot dang, this is cool!

2 Likes

I’m so glad it’s liked! I was really on the fence about how it turned out. Not sure if it was too busy or it made visual sense. I was inspired by the dot painting but my style is more messy chaos than symmetry.

4 Likes

I could not love this more. I can totally see the inspiration, but you 100% made it your own (better!). The tiny holes and all those beads and even the edge stitching/colors. It’s just amazing!! And it’s wonderfully tactile in person!

4 Likes

This is really pretty, and inventive!

2 Likes

Absolutely lovely my friend.

2 Likes

it is amazing. that tool is scary looking lol.

2 Likes

Super cool! I adore this. It was so creative to flip it over and punch the holes. I love the seed beads, and you really made it more dramatic with the black stitching. Such an amazing piece.
I also noticed that you changed colors to match the background when you edge it. It’s the tiny details that will elevate a project even further. Bravo!

1 Like

First I fused double sided webbing to the back of the top felt piece, then drew the colour band placement on the front to figure out where to punch the holes (the tool is super easy to use, not as scary as a cropodile!), after that was figureing out the shape & placement for the coloured bits, cut them out & lightly fused to the holey circle, the franken stitches are the beads sewn on. Then fused the whole thing to a thick felt backing & whip stitches around the edge in various colours to match the sections. Whew.

1 Like

How gorgeous and creative to use the punch for the exposed layer underneath. Beautiful landscape, my friend. I love it!

1 Like