Felt Badge Swap Rd2 - S/O june 21

Here’s a pretty basic one. I don’t think the stitching around the edge is neccessary but it gives an idea anyhow.
Glue works too :wink:

1 Like

And sewing felt is a billion times easier than fabric. I hate hand sewing unless it’s felt. So easy and fun!

4 Likes

I love sewing with felt as well…especially now that I have loads of wool felt…what a difference! I find the best way to get lots of small pieces of wool felt is on Etsy. Many sellers sell packs that are reasonable.

5 Likes

The wool felt I ordered from Etsy previously was really thick. I did not find it easy to work with and it still split on me for tiny details. It was 100% wool. Can you share your favorite shop?

The blend I just ordered came from Amazon because I had a gift card (from winning the spring challenge!), so I’m hoping this is better than my last experience… :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The felt I use to make badges and dolls, etc. is a wool/rayon blend…thin but sturdy and pliable.

I have been purchasing from here and just love that you can pick and choose your colors. I usually get larger sheets but for beginners and starting out to gauge colors, the small size is handy.

This is where I got the pattern and felt to make the pizza food I made for @antbee!

5 Likes

Hm…that is the shop I purchased from last time.

This is what I bought.

I think the wool blend is key.

3 Likes

Yes—I have that as well but I use the thicker pieces for background only…I used it to make my mushroom needlebook…it is also fuzzier…it is nice to embroider on but layering is a bit thick…I think they have limited colors of 100% wool like that at Joann’s as well…I buy it to use as the backs of my embroidery hoops

2 Likes

Yes, the colors I got were also strange/off. I was disappointed, but I think it was just my own lack of knowledge/understanding. I’m excited to try again with the right material this time!

2 Likes

Let me know if you want me to send you samples…I can pop them in an envelope! I seriously have way too much…

oh, @kayrun…let me know if you want a packet as well since you are just starting out!

4 Likes

That’s where I get mine from! It’s Merino, I think. Love it! Works great for me. I have some 100% wool that is really soft and kind of falls apart. Not sure if all of it is like that, but the merino is what I used on my little critters too.

3 Likes

This is who I buy felt from a lot over many years - very trusted seller, communicative, will answer questions before/after purchase, etc. Her felt never splits on me. Feltonthefly

Another i have used over years of crafting is sweetemmajean, she has different blends than feltonthefly, and a different colors & bundles. Also very helpful & communicative & trusted.

4 Likes

thank you!

and @AIMR I will message you

3 Likes

Oops ha ha, emmajean was already mentioned. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Haha. Everyone mentions her! That’s why I bought from her initially. Of course I went to the right shop but bought the wrong stuff! :sweat_smile: :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Feltonthefly does various kits with different artists, like my favorite pincushion crafter. Just gorgeous stuff!

4 Likes

I get wool felt from a local place. It’s expensive but I only use little pieces of it so it lasts forever. It is much nicer to work with than most craft felt but a few badges I’ve received have been made with acrylic felt and they look great. Did you know, you can even felt acrylic sheets, like with a felting needle? It works almost the same.

3 Likes

I did not know that! I’ve never tried felting with a needle, I’ve only done embroidery and applique type things with felt. I banned myself from trying any new crafts, but now you’ve given me another reason to bend on needle felting.

I’ve got a weird assortment of felt (various types) and felted wool scraps, and even though I use it for things, it does seem impossible to use it all up! I think my bag of felt has been with me through at least 2 husbands and 7 house moves, lol. Pretty sure I need to get some more colours though …

6 Likes

:flushed:

Lol, this is a fun measure for craft supplies!

5 Likes

My felt came today! Thickness seems good. Maybe I should do a test badge… :thinking:

This is me, too. I claimed some in the STS one year…no clue fiber content…

11 Likes

Hahaha - Mr jemimah is number three. He is very understanding of craft supplies, and positively encourages SABLE.

@Abbeeroad, so pretty!! :open_mouth:

5 Likes