Felt snail

I know an 11 year old girl who loves snails and slugs so when I stumbled upon this cute little snail pattern, I knew exactly who would appreciate a little snail friend.

And then I realized that the snail itself involved mostly hand sewing, which I have very little patience for but I powered through. Heh. I already told her mom about it and there is nothing like committing to others to motivate you.

Anyhow, I didn’t have thread in a color to match any of my felt so I decided to not even try and went with full on visible stitches. They are messy yes, but stitched with love. :two_hearts: My favorite part is the fabric roll for a shell. Cute. If I had more patience, an army of snails in different colors would be fun. :snail: :snail: :snail:

Also I opted not to include the eyes called for in the pattern because that’s not really where snails have their eyes. I mean it’s really cute but I’m weird and it would have bothered me.

26 Likes

I love the fabrics you chose for the snail. I also snails and it would also irk me if you put eyes in the wrong spot. I really like the eyeless look. Nice job!

2 Likes

Oh good. I’m not alone. I can be a little neurotic sometimes about things that others do not get. Heh. And thank you! :heart:

2 Likes

Hear, hear!! Yeah, I always start with the intention of “this time I will have neat and even stitches” but end up with all different kinds and lengths of stitches haha :smile:

It is clear that you put a lot of love into this snail! As a kid I loved them too! He is cute and fun. Agreed on the eyes, no eyes on the sides.

Great work and thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I also support your decision not to have eyes on the snail…love the rolled up “shell”…fashionable little thing!

Very cute!

3 Likes

This turned out fantastic! The hand-stitching is definitely part of it’s charm. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! Shout out the intention to lock you in!

BUT REALLY, YES!!

5 big stars for visible, contrast stitching! Zero eyeballs, and the fantastic shell body!

:metal:

3 Likes

That is so cute that I want to make one now

2 Likes

I love the contrast of the floral fabric against the grey felt!

3 Likes

I adore the fabric roll shell. It looks like a rolled up sleeping bag, which is quite endearing.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!! :heart::heart:

Hehe. You’re right it does. I love that.

1 Like

I echo the snail love and lack of patience for hand-stitching. Good thing you told her mother your plan! He turned out just great.

2 Likes

Me too! And while I know intuitively that that is not the right place for snail’s eyes, I realize that I have no idea where their eyes are, or if they even have them! Off to the googles… :snail:

3 Likes

I love this. I like the plain body with the colorful shell.

3 Likes

Oh my, this little guy is fantastic! An army of them would be fun, wouldn’t it? Great work!

2 Likes

this is perfect. i have two snail lovers in this house too. i bet your little friend loves it!

2 Likes

This will be a most loved snail in the 11 year old’s collection! Awesome!

1 Like

Such a cute snail :smiley: I love the pattern fabric for the shell :smiley: and I like that the stitch is visible

1 Like

This is super cute. I love that you made your stitches visible and they aren’t exact. Gives it more personality.

1 Like