Festive Deer Quilted Mug Rug (pic heavy)

I did a thing! I made another mug rug to continue my venture into sewing, and this time I even did bias tape binding around the edge! Which was totally a pain in the but to create bias tape, and then hand stitch down the tape on the back. I don’t have a tape maker, and I don’t have the fancy machine foot to do the binding. Yet.

This was also an exercise in carefully measuring the pieces. I improvised this design, so I didn’t have measurements to go by. I totally winged it, and had to re-cut a couple pieces after I did the fancy triangle bits.

I think I did ok for my first pieced quilting. Could be better, but it could have gone a lot worse, too!
I did have to re-do the binding once, after I messed up the corners. Learning moment.

I am very proud of my “stitching in the ditch”.

This is for a personal swap (non LC) that I am doing, for DIY festive yarn advent calendars. At least half of the days need to be mini skeins, and the rest can be fun knit/crochet adjacent accessories. The fabric motif ties into the theme of the little group participants.

14 Likes

Love the fabric and yeah the making your own bias binding is a pain in the keister! But you did awesome

1 Like

Thank you! I wasn’t about to buy pre-made tape. :laughing:

1 Like

Great work!

1 Like

Nice job! Your in the ditch stitches look great!

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Your corners are amazing. Just FYI just because I’m not sure if you know, you can also do machine binding with a regular foot. @MareMare posted a brilliant machine binding tutotial on C-ster that I unfortunately did not save. Basically you do it the other way around, you stitch the binding to the back first, fold over and stitch the binding to the front.

2 Likes

Nice. The moose is so fun and the other colors give it a woodlands feel. Nice job on the binding, binding is always a pain, but I always opt to hand sew on the back, makes such a nice finish. And I hate hand sewing!

2 Likes

Nice job! You are rocking it!

1 Like

Interesting! I googled real quick how to attach binding and then just went step by step as the person said to, which ended up being hand stitched to finish it. LOL.
I ordered a set of bias tape makers that come with a binding foot, should arrive tomorrow, I think.
I’m having fun with these mug mats. They are good practice, and fairly quick for a newbie. I needed a win after the debacle trying to sew a zippered pillow case out of some leftover upholstery… stupid zippers.

2 Likes

Good luck with the bias tape makers! It’s not exactly my favourite thing in the world to make bias tape but I love using homemade bias tape from fun fabrics rather than boring shop bought bias tape.

What I like to do for mug rugs instead of bias tape binding is folding the backing fabric over to the front and stitching it down as a binding. I cut the backing a couple of inches bigger than the top. When I’m done quilting, I trim the backing down to exactly 1 inch bigger than the front, fold the flap of fabric exactly in half wrong sides together, then flip it over to the front and stitch it down. I don’t do mitered corners when I finish a mug rug that way but I’m sure it’s possible one way or another. (Hope that description makes any sense :slightly_smiling_face: )

2 Likes

I’m curious on how you did your binding. In the one pic, it looks like a single strip with raw edges on each side. Did you have to flip the raw edge under when you did the hand sewing?

1 Like