Finished My Late Aunt's UFO Apron, Adding My Own Twists

This is lovely! The thought, the fabrics and the execution!

This is so special. And so cleverly made. I like the grommets and the bright bias tape is a really clever detail

Thanks so much, everyone!

wow, this is such a treat! I love aprons and I don’t wear them…sigh…
When is your lucky cousin getting this? I assume it’s a surprise?

I love this so much. I love the look and the design. I also love the little message.

2 Likes

Thank you, friends!

@kittykill Thanks! I like the way they came out more than I thought I would since the checked denim isn’t really my jam. :wink:

@bethntim ! Same! I have several, but don’t wear them! Only when baking that that’s not that often. I think I want to try to start making a point of wearing one to keep my shirt dry while washing dishes. TheMisterT has been doing pretty much all the cooking, so I have been doing most of the dishes.

I am mailing it off today to her PO box. Not sure how often she checks it, but I assume she’ll be getting it early next week. Her daughter is graduating HS, so I imagine they’re going to the box more often for her cards and gifts. When I originally found the cut apron, I asked her if she’d like me to finish it for her, but that is all. She doesn’t know about me making two or anything else about it and it’s been a few months, so it will probably be a bit of a surprise!

2 Likes

That’s super sweet. And the aprons look great!

Wonderful job! They turned out really nice and modern!

Thank so much!

I really love this. What a great to keep a loved one close by. :heart:

absolutely amazing and so sweet.

These aprons are marvelous! I really like the little pop of color from the bias tape in the pockets.

And the sentiment behind the project is lovely. About half my stash came from my great-aunt and working through her scraps is like having her in my sewing room with me (without the inevitable critique).

2 Likes

What a beautiful way to remember your aunt! I really like the design of the straps. I hate the neck strap that only goes around the back of your neck, and I like the ties to be long enough to tie in the front, so this design is a win-win for me! I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for large twill tape, too. I am also a huge fan the way fun bias tape looks when used as a facing, but it’s something that I never remember to do. I’m going to bet that your cousin will just love it!

Thanks so much, y’all!

@craftADDchick I feel the same about the behind the neck strap - it just gets uncomfortable so quick. And I also like to tie in front, so I hope I really like this when I wear it. I found A LOT more 1.5" twill take than I did 1" which is what I was initially looking for.

1 Like

I’ve never seen twill tape that wide. It’s definitely on my radar for the next time I hit the fabric store!

She has a grommet drawer! I love this woman!

1 Like

I bet your cousin will love this. And you! Destashing for the win! Did you invent that method of fastening aprons? I’ve never seen that, but I’m curious to try it now. There are a few of mine where that neck strap is so annoying.

Thanks everyone!

BAHAHAHAHAAA! I have this old set of small drawers that had been used in my great-grandparents’ hardware store and then in my grandparents’ garage. The drawers are small enough (apothecary- or card catalo- style) that they can only have very specific contents!

I did not invent it! It looks like a fairly common commercial kitchen style and I can see why. So adjustable! I also saw examples that might be more for woodworking (more pockets and such) and saw it referred to as a “Japanese style.” Many of those I saw with a similar set up also had grommets at the bib where the straps were tied instead of sewing in.

1 Like

This is a treasure!

Thank you!