While looking through my stash for mask making fabric I came upon this mid-weight checkered denim that I had been given by my aunt when she was downsizing years ago along with a bunch of other fabrics. When I opened it up, I found that it had been cut into a long bib apron. Then I got the idea to finish the apron for my cousin, her daughter.
Then it sat waiting for inspiration. When inspiration struck it was in the form of cutting it to make two aprons by adding some other fabric from my stash and keeping one. I didn’t get a pic before I cut the original apron piece, but that’s it up there.
I had enough of this bottom weight navy fabric to make it work!
Then I got to figuring out how I wanted to put it all together with all finished seams, etc. At first I didn’t think I was finding the size of grommets I needed, but then found some in the back of the grommet drawer! And after A LOT of online searching for twill tape I liked, I ended up at JoAnn and found an appropriate weight, width, and color. WHEW! But the rest is all stash.
For a few reasons, I decided some kind of seam tape would work nicely on the inside hem of the pockets and then realized I had a bunch of bias tape made from more fabric my aunt gave me at the same time! I wasn’t a huge fan of the print, but there was enough of it to be useful. Not long after, I realized it would be very useful to test just how much bias tape of varying widths I could get from a method using a 1/4 yard of fabric. Turns out it’s kind of cool as a bias tape, but I hadn’t used it… until now!
Finally, I added a little embroidery “label” of sorts to the top bib facing to commemorate our “collaboration.” My aunt died about 5 years, but I think she’d have gotten a kick out of this. It’s not my best embroidered text ever, but I think the love is obvious anyway. And now I notice a missing comma on mine. D’oh!
Here it is ready to wrap up to mail. I’ve written up a little card to explain the fabrics and such to go with it.