First attempt at quilt as you go (QAYG)

And I dislike the technique! For reasons detailed below. But the finished product I do like, it’s a stash busting quilt that’s destined to be warming a body tomorrow evening. Approx 50" sq.

Everything is from stash, including some frankenbatting.

Pros and cons.
Pros:
1- no crawling around the floor to pin the layers
2- no repeated stabbing with safety pins (see 1 above)
3-when you join the squares, it’s done. No separate quilting stage

Cons:
1-much bulkier seams which I find drift more easily.
2-if you make a mistake joining one square to another, unpicking is a bit of a pig.
3- biggest issue probably arose because I stitched strips on the diagonal- when joining the squares they stretched and pushed a ‘wave’ of fabric ahead of the needle creating lots of little puckers. See pic below.

This might have been better using a walking foot, but I need to use my 1/4" foot as the joining strips are only 1" wide.
4- it’s a very stop and start process. I couldn’t really chain piece anything, so it seems a bit slower overall.

If you’re interested in the technique, “Just get it done quilts” has some great YouTube videos on it.

33 Likes

It’s lovely!

But, I agree…it works fine for smaller projects but I also found it to be slower and “bunchie”.

2 Likes

Lovely results!

And thanks for the review of the technique - I binged a bunch of Just Get It Done Quilts videos this weekend and had been intrigued.

3 Likes

Turned out so great! Looks very worth all the trouble. Gorgeous gift, so generous.

1 Like

I’ve never made a QAYG. And after this review. I’m unlikely to.

Tho this is refreshingly bright.

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous! And aesthetically wonderful for early spring when it’s not yet warm, but boy are we ready for some brightness.

I have been curious about QAYG for a long time. As a non-quilter, it seemed like a way to do some stash busting projects that is more quilted than my machine would really allow otherwise.

2 Likes

This is a relatively small quilt and you could definitely do bigger ones, as you could just add to the edges, keeping the bulk away from the needle. I think it could work much better with a fairly thin batting, and if the squares were something like logcabin squares.

This would keep the edges on the grain, so no stretching, you could still use all the scraps and it would be relatively densely quilted depending on the thickness of the scraps.

5 Likes

Thanks! My machine just doesn’t have a lot of room between the needle and the… part on the right that holds up the top part. Whatever that’s called!? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The whole area is called the throat. Mine doesn’t have much either mine is a regular domestic machine, which is why I don’t go in for much quilting. I tend to do mostly straight lines and keep it simple.

5 Likes

I never learned that term - thanks.

I’ve made blocks this way but never finished.

Your quilt is lovely.

1 Like

The results are gorgeous!

2 Likes

Ahhhh, thank you! I can tell you it was a bit of an engineering production for me to even quilt in-and-around-the-ditch on the tee shirt quilts I have done, esp the queen-sized one. Rolling it up to the halfway point, resting it on my shoulder and having it feed out onto the dining room table! Probably a fair bit of cussing, too.

5 Likes

The end result looks amazing. I really admire your perseverance. When fabric starts bunching on the machine, I start cursing and reconsidering my life choices :joy:.

3 Likes

It’s so cheerful! Well done my Friend.

1 Like

So cheerful and pretty! I did a queen sized quilt this way. I wonder why it didn’t bunch up on me the way yours did. I did use my walking foot, though. I wonder if that made that big of a difference.

I keep meaning to do a scrappy stash buster like this but I have yet to make it happen. I love how yours turned out!

1 Like

I would think the walking foot makes an enormous difference. Some things I find impossible to sew without it.

3 Likes

:sparkles: :heart_eyes: :scissors: Congratulations! Your awesome quilt is a Featured Project this week! :scissors: :heart_eyes: :sparkles:

1 Like

It looks gorgeous!! Thanks for the notes on QAYG, that’s all very useful to know.

1 Like

It looks great and like you got to use up a bunch of scraps too!

1 Like

Thanks sweetie x

1 Like