First day of school cone

Here in Germany it’s a tradition to give children a so-called school cone filled with treats (and supplies) on their first day of school. While you can purchase a ready-made school cone, it’s also a tradition to make one for your little one yourself. Luckily you can buy a blank cone that you can decorate in many different ways.
Two years ago I made Emma’s school cone in her kindergarten - all the parents met up to decorate the cones according to the kids’ wishes. The kindergarten provided all supplies and templates.
This year, due to the pandemic, we couldn’t meet up in the kindergarten. So I had to figure out a different way to decorate Ole’s school cone. He picked the same theme as Emma, sea life. Unfortunately I haven’t got as many paper craft supplies as the kindergarten and I’m not good at paper crafts anyways so I wasn’t happy with my first try. I put the cone aside before I came up with the idea to decorate it with crochet appliques because I felt much more comfortable with that. So I crocheted fishes, jellyfishes, starfishes and crabs and also sea grass and some bubbles and his name. I used hot glue to attach it to the cone and rickrack to tie it up.
Ole was thrilled about his school cone and super proud.

Just in case you’re interested in the tradition school cone tradition

32 Likes

Beautiful job! I love the contrast in texture that the crochet appliques provide.

1 Like

I love thus idea and you did such a fantastic job.

1 Like

Thanks! I think it makes the whole scenery a bit more vivid.

Thank you!

I love the school cone tradition and I really love this one! The sea critters are so cute on their own, but the texture they bring to the paper sea is just wonderful! And the little bubbles! The ric rac really looks like seaweed, too.

1 Like

Adorable! And I love you find crocheting all those pieces easier than paper crafting them!

2 Likes

Well, maybe it wasn’t easier or less work but the appliques looked much better than my cut out sea creatures :joy:

3 Likes

This is adorable! I love all of the little creatures!!!

1 Like

:scissors: :yarn: What-ho, Gentle Crafter! Your craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :thread: :page_with_curl:

1 Like

Thank you :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I have never heard of this tradition before, I love it! He looks so happy and proud :+1: