First Ever Zipper Pouch

Zipper pouches are fairly common but this is my first one. Don’t know why I’ve been obsessing about making one but my lusting has been going on for a few years. I used a salvaged zipper. That may be why it’s wavy. :blush: The pouch is 9x7".

I chose the fish fabric because I like fresh-water fishing and cleaning and eating fresh fish. I found this artsy fishes fat quarter at Walmart.

I created a patchwork for the front but did not measure very well. I wanted the 2 small panels to be wider. I chose the circles pattern because the colors coordinated with the fish and the design simulates fish bubbles. It is from the now-closed Hancock Fabrics. I also used it for the back.

I remembered to add my sequins and beads embellishments beforehand but should have ironed on the front and back interfacing first.

It was a pain trying to iron around them. Luckily, I have a mini hot tool that helped. It’s a Purple Cows Melt, with 6 tips, that I picked up in an Aldi bin several years ago for $7.

I’m happy with how my top-stitching came out on both the outside and the inside. I lined the pouch with a salvaged, pinky-red fabric.

The boxed bottom was a challenge but I’m pleased with it. I folded the corners into triangles and measured up from the points 1/2" for a 1" box.

It was great fun creating the zipper tabs. Though I cut the zipper 1" shorter than the pouch width, it left the metal stops at each end. I had problems sewing over them at the bottom and had to sew carefully over that tab several times.

At the top of the zipper this issue left a gap between the stop and the zipper tab. For the next 2 pouches that I made, I treated my zippers as zippers-by-the-yard. I chose zippers that were considerably longer. This allowed me to cut them below the metal stops at each end.

Also, trying to salvage fabric by sewing close to a raveling edge is a no-no. There were 2 places on one side where the seam came apart. It was easy to fold them in and add fabric glue. I did add a handmade, zipper pull tassel made of pink, gray and turquoise yarn.

I was so excited and happy with my project that I quickly made 2 more pouches for gifts to cat-lovers. They are smaller, 8x6". The fat quarter is from Walmart, Create It! Playful Cats. I added interfacing to the fronts only and the zippers are perfectly inserted! I’ve already matched fabrics to make more. :open_mouth:

I’m surprised that I followed all of Jan Howell’s instructions. I’ve grown a lot in pressing through intricate directions and not allowing challenging processes to intimidate me.

Thanks for looking!
This is 12th in my 18-posts Chameleon Badge pursuit! :hot_face:

29 Likes

Those pouches are great! Love your fabric choices and the cats are so darn cute!

2 Likes

Well done!

2 Likes

Nice job! But, pouch making is addicting! I can see many more in your future! The combinations of fabrics and sizes are nearly infinite!

My favorite is your first one…you rose to the challenge and did it!

3 Likes

Such cute fabrics! Nicely done.
You might like noodlehead’s free open-wide tutorial for a different zipper.
I tend to pull the zipper tape just slightly since it can have a little stretch, especially if the fabric’s been interfaced. I often use fusible tape to hold it in place for stitching too.

3 Likes

I’m so jealous! I have yet to make a zip pouch I’m really happy with. You did a great job! Love that little hot tool serving as your iron. :laughing:

2 Likes

How sexy! Recycled materials, pretty pattern matches, sequins and beads, tassels!

I try real hard to not look at fat quarters, but next time I visit walmart, I will look for those fish!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’d seen that open-wide tute. The pouch is cute but I don’t really care for that extended zipper. Jan uses a glue stick to help hold the zipper in place. I think my zipper was wavy (stretched) after I cut it out of the garment. I probably got frustrated and was pulling, jerking at it and the stitches. :smile: Maybe if I had ironed it or washed and let it dry flattened, it would have helped.

2 Likes

Glue is also what I use. I use Teflon coated needles so they don’t get gunked up.

2 Likes

It was in the cardboard fat quarter display on a shelf, the one that used to say 99c and now says $1.39 or something. Unfortunately, I didn’t save the label. I searched quite a bit for the pattern online and haven’t had any luck finding it. If I do I’ll post the link.

Why do you avoid fat quarters? :eyes:

1 Like

I avoid them because, like chips, you can’t just get one… :rofl:

3 Likes

Jan uses a glue stick applied to the very edge. It helps hold the zipper in place and usually the stitches will not go through the glued area.

2 Likes

Aren’t most creative projects? And any new technique learned? That’s why we buy and buy. That’s why I’m overwhelmed with ideas! :smile: We exist like this…

2 Likes

Make another one tomorrow. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

What AIMR said.
I had tons of them, but no actual use, so gave most to a quilting friend. I try to buy at least 2yard pieces, so I can make a garment, my favorite.

2 Likes

I love these. You did a great job on the zippers. I love the embellishments on the fish pouch.

1 Like

Yay for stretching & new skills! I like your fabric matching & kitty zipper pulls & decorating! I would be happy to get any of these.

1 Like

You worked really hard, and it shows in the beautiful zipper pouches you created! I love the little cat dangling from the zipper :heart:

2 Likes

:smile: I had to chuckle when I read this because I was in a kind of quietly, feverish mode of determination each time I sat down at my sewing table to do the next stage. Thanks!

2 Likes

Those patches are so cute! Love your fabric choices & combinations. The sequin embellishments are pretty cool as well.

1 Like