Five Shrines

I love the bright colors of Mexican folk art, and I love making little shrines, so these little matchbox shrine facades that just came out at Alpha Stamps make me so happy. For the past week or two, I have been busy making shrines. All the bright colors! The fronts are chipboard, while the little niches are matchboxes. (I have so many extra matches now!)

The first shrine I did was all about Cosmopolitan martinis, so I painted the exterior a bright pink with a red border. It’s embellished with polymer clay limes and pink leaves, and the niche features a miniature Cosmo drink. The small metal saint is painted in Cosmo colors, and she’s offering up a slice of lime! This shrine will be the perfect addition to the Cosmo shelf in my kitchen.

My next shrine was made before the Corona virus threat got real, but in light of all the news of the hour, I’m calling this one the “I See Coronavirus” shrine. I used a small loteria card for the niche, and a bright red eyeball at the top. The eye sits on a round filigree setting. I painted the tiny flowers on the filigree to match the colors of the shrine border. The perfect black lines are Dazzles Thin Line stickers.

On this next shrine, I first painted the facade a bright turquoise and then searching for an image to feature in the niche. I found the perfect one on the Loteria Matchbox Shrines collage sheet. The saint was painted in the same light turquoise used for the interior of the niche. A bronze metal flower makes the perfect halo for the saint. Metal roses on the sides, along with polymer clay leaves give a bright pop of color.

Oh no, it’s the devil! This is another shrine where I chose the color first, and then the image. The flames were painted on chipboard, then cut out and glued to the front. I could not resist making a few tiny demons suffer in those flames.

This image of the Madonna is just so beautiful. It was the first thing I chose for this shrine. I then picked the paint colors to coordinate with the image. Gold Dresden trim and halos work perfectly with this heavenly theme.

All these bright colors look so fun together. I think I’m going to need another set of facades so I can make more.

39 Likes

I saw these on Alpha Stamps, they are so great! I love all the colors together.

These are all so great, but of course I LOVE your cosmo shrine the best! The teeny lime slices decorating the thing are perfection!

“La Corona!” These are each so lovely and colorful!

These are fabulous! I can only imagine trying to get all those tiny little components into place.

What an inspiration!

I love the Madonna one since I have been collecting those images for a while…

The clever details make me smile…the little devils in the flames…ha ha ha

You know those bad boys gotta burn!

2 Likes

I love them all but the heart one…swoon!

I swooned when I saw these pop up in my Alpha Stamps newsletter the other day. So freakin’ lovely my friend.

These are so cute!!

Wow, @racky, these are all fabulous! You’re such a pro-level crafter. I tried to pick a favorite one, but I can’t; they are all so, so cool!

These are my absolute favorite of anything you have made re: papercraft! I love how some of them are silly!

These are all so well coordinated! I keep trying to pick a favorite, but then I scroll to another one… I love them all!

I can’t decide which is my favorite! They’re all so awesome!

You’ve certainly been productive! I love the individuality of each shrine and how great they look as a group. Bravo!

Racky! Your creativity when it comes to preformed shapes and making them come to life is amazing. I adore these. I could have spent 1,000 days and not ended up with something even close to as nice as this. I’m so impressed with your eye for detail.

Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments. :blush:

These are wonderful! I love your color choices. I need to get some of those shrines and try my hand at it. You are always so inspiring. :heart:

I love these tiny shrines, the details are so great.

Congrats! You are one of this week’s featured projects! Way to be all crafty and stuff!

3 Likes