Floral Cat Purse

This year, one of my goals was to work on larger projects and make a few things for myself. One of the things I really needed to make was a new purse. The one I have been using is a few years old and is showing its age. It took me three weekends to find all the time, but I did it!

PS - Picking up a pattern after a week and figuring out where you are is weird. I ended up having weird extra pieces. Ha!

I wanted something classy yet quirky. When I saw this fabric, I fell in love. The purple color is everything! I love a gray smoky purple, and if you add a black cat, I am sold!
I wanted to be able to hold it near my elbow or on my shoulder. I looked around and found the Ruby handbag by Bagstock: Ruby Handbag, PDF Sewing Pattern, Bagstock Designs - Etsy
I removed the front slip pocket because I didn’t want to obstruct the cat’s face. I also knew I would just stuff receipts in there and never clean it out.

I used both vinyl and fabric for the handles and strap. I like the way vinyl looks over time and how it keeps it shape, but it falls off my arm. So I altered the pattern to include both for myself.

It has a nice zippered closure.

And pockets on both sides. A zippered pocket and two slip pockets that I included another cat on.

I special ordered the gold triangles because I hate how D-rings sometimes slip around. I really like these and will probably get more.

And last but not least, my little muse, This is Tobin Spirit Guide. I call her Tobi.

31 Likes

I think it is fantastic! When you sew for yourself, you can make things that work for how you live! I agree about not wanting to cover up the fantastic fabric!

I love purses with that type of zipper closure…you can still reach in the sides but everything stays relatively secure!

Nice job! And, yes, it is also wonderful that you made something for yourself!

3 Likes

Yes! After I made it, I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the zipper, but I can still slip my phone in the side quickly, so it’s not a hassle, yet everything is secure. I think I will like it.

3 Likes

You did a wonderful job!! I love the vinyl strap with the fabric underneath! Very cool idea. And yay for making yourself something. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

This is so fantastic. I LOVE the idea of the vinyl on the top but fabric underneath to avoid slipping off your shoulder. Brilliant! The subtle cat fabric is so great!

3 Likes

Ooooooo those triangles! I want! What a great find. Love the purse!

4 Likes

This is beautiful! I love your goal of crafting for yourself, too.

3 Likes

Eeee! It’s so beautiful and amusing at the same time! I love the kittles.
The tote bag that I “bought” from you from the STS in 2022 is still going strong and I get compliments on it. I use it to carry my craft project from my house to my son’s music teacher’s house and back. It’s been great, no problems, so the purse is going to last for a long while.
I hope you get many compliments on it out in the wild!

3 Likes

This is gorgeous and SO YOU! I love it. Perfect fabric, perfect design.

Hi, Tobi, you little snuggly girl! :heart:

2 Likes

Awesome, and so perfect for you! That fabric is cool. Like irid3sc3nt said, you make a high-quality bag. The one I bought from you in STS is so sturdy and is still going strong. Do you have a link for the triangle hardware?

3 Likes

I got them from Emmaline Bags, but I am sure there is a place in the US that has them too. Emmaline is in Canada. I really like their selection though.

The same ones are available on Etsy using “Triangle rings hardware”.

If you’re looking for bulk, they have them on Amazon as well.

I think the triangles are great. Once the D-rings start turning, they wrinkle up the fabric, and this looks like a great way to keep it fresh looking.

4 Likes

WOW! I am so impressed by this bag and your skills! You did a great job with the fabric placement and your hardware choices elevate the entire bag. I especially like how you lined the straps. It’s such a lovely touch.

I have a purse kit that I got for Christmas 2022 and this bag is inspiring me to get started on my own!

5 Likes

Yes! Make that bag and show us all! I feel like there were a lot more purses made on the old site and I miss seeing them.

3 Likes

This turned out sooooo goooood! I love how thoughful your fabric choices and alterations were.

3 Likes

This is amazing! Well done. Great sewing and great fabric choices.

2 Likes

Thank you for saying that. I went back and forth about using the cream fabric for the interior. I didn’t want the bag to be dark inside, but I was worried the contrast between the zipper closure and the interior fabric would clash. I thought about it WAY too much. Ultimately, I decided it was just for me, and I could live with it. I think it turned out fine, so I don’t know why I was stressing myself. Then again, I could win an Olympic medal in stressing and overthinking! Ha!

And thanks to everyone for such lovely comments and support!

7 Likes

I used to line all of my bags in black, but as you said, often I can’t find things in the “black hole”! I love your use of a lighter color!

4 Likes

I love it, you did a great job :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I love this!! I agree on that smokey purple. :ok_hand: And all the details you attended to to make it the perfect purse for you…just all around a wonderful job!!

2 Likes

It is beautiful and absolutely perfect for you!

2 Likes