Floral Skull Rocking Chair

I’ve had this vintage bentwood rocking chair for some time. I originally bought it thinking we might have a baby, and this would be good for a nursery once it was refinished. The baby probably isn’t going to materialize. We were spooked by the pandemic and job complications, so we’ll see how things go before revisiting that again. But, I did finally finish the chair.

It’s been mostly finished for ages. I stripped, sanded and stained the frame and finished the seat bottom last year, and started on the embroidery for the seat back before I lost steam. Now that I have a better, less stressful, job I felt up to working on it again.

It used to make me a little sad, but now when I look at it I feel very happy. :slight_smile: Now I want to re-do more chairs, but my husband says we don’t have room!

19 Likes

This is so cool! The refinished wood and new fabric brings a fresh feel to a traditional style. The embroidery… WOW! That really makes it into a very customized and personalized piece!

2 Likes

Wow! This is amazing

2 Likes

What a great upgrade! Love the embroidery!

2 Likes

Wowza! I’m working on a skelly plus flowers embroidery, but it’s too small for a RL scale chair. Maybe for a mini…

2 Likes

This is absolutely, hands down the coolest rocking chair I’ve ever seen. That embroidery is WOW and the contrast with the traditional chair is perfect.

@MistressJennie - I feel like this has your name written all over it.

2 Likes

Wowweeee! Fantastic! What an awesome project! I love that embroidery!!! This is a gorgeous piece of furniture.

2 Likes

Oh @Abbeeroad, you know me so well! I freakin’ LOVE this. And I would totally have put it in my baby’s nursery, skull and all. (There are some baby pjs with skulls I totally want to order for Ada.) @appledainty, this is one of the coolest (of the many very cool) redo projects you’ve show us. Your house must be amazing. :black_heart: :skull:

2 Likes

I bow down to your coolness! This is extraordinary. I am completely, insanely in love with it! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

A true woman of taste and culture who would also put a skull rocking chair in her nursery. XD My husband was like “Is that appropriate for a nursery?” and I was like “Yes.” LOL

3 Likes

What a great update! I love the modern mixed with the rustic feel of the wood. Gorgeous!

1 Like

My mil has a chair just like this only it is caned. They rock really well. That’s an anywhere-chair! Did you use a really large hoop for it? I haven’t worked on a piece that big before so I’m not sure how one would tackle it.

1 Like

This is lovely. The embroidery is really beautiful and I love the refinished chair.

I went through a bit of an old chair phase and my husband also told me to stop buying chairs. :laughing:

1 Like

Thia is a clever spin on a traditional piece of furniture.

1 Like

I used a large hoop! I have one that’s like…bigger than a foot across? I also have an embroidery frame, which I could have used. But, the hoop is easier to move around with me.

2 Likes

I have a second vintage bentwood rocking chair with caning that I’m working on next. I want to buy a third one, but my husband says I can’t buy another rocking chair until I sell at least one of the existing two. XD; I might have a rocking chair addiction.

2 Likes