Flower Sugar Cubes and Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies

I made these years ago but thought they needed to be shared again. The sugar cubes (in theory) should melt and you will have a floating flower in your tea or coffee. Sometimes they stayed on top and other times they melted with the sugar cube. I just love the way they look. I really need to make some more.

The cookies are yummy with just a little bit of heat.

103_3360

103_3361

103_3366

The recipe for the cookies:

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
  • In a large bowl, blend 1 1/2 cup sugar and butter, use an electric mixer on medium (if you have a kitchen maid, use that-trust me-it won’t be as messy or hard to mix). Mix until sugar and butter are fluffy (around 2 minutes)
  • Add eggs and beat to combine
  • Gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.
  • In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon and chili powder (if using).
  • Using a heaping tablespoon, form balls of dough and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
  • Place a few inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
  • Bake until cookies are set in center and they begin to crack-about 10 minutes
17 Likes

Ooooh, I want to try those cookies!!! Thanks for the recipe. I have one with black pepper, but not chili powder.

The sugar cubes are just so dainty and cute!!! What great tea parties you must host!!

1 Like

Oh those flowers are so lovely! They make me want to have a tea party. :blush:

1 Like

The sugar cubes are such a great idea!!

Adorable sugar cubes with those flowers! A bowl or saucer full must make a sweet bouquet.

Thanks all!

Very posh!

1 Like

The flower cubes are darling! And thank you for the cookie recipe, that just might be on my to-do list tomorrow.

Wow, fancy! I want to dress up and have a tea party at your house now. :heart_eyes: Pinkies up!

Gah, those sugar cubes look simple and so adorable! The cookies sound divine.

How cute are these! Floating flowers in your tea is so extra. :smile:

1 Like

so dainty and proper! My favorite combo

I don’t take sugar in my coffee or tea, but might have to start just for an excuse to try something like this. They’re adorable!

1 Like

Those sugar cubes are beautiful!

Oh wow! These are so pretty! Extra glad they were featured so I wouldn’t miss them entirely.