I made these years ago but thought they needed to be shared again. The sugar cubes (in theory) should melt and you will have a floating flower in your tea or coffee. Sometimes they stayed on top and other times they melted with the sugar cube. I just love the way they look. I really need to make some more.
The cookies are yummy with just a little bit of heat.
The recipe for the cookies:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, blend 1 1/2 cup sugar and butter, use an electric mixer on medium (if you have a kitchen maid, use that-trust me-it won’t be as messy or hard to mix). Mix until sugar and butter are fluffy (around 2 minutes)
- Add eggs and beat to combine
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon and chili powder (if using).
- Using a heaping tablespoon, form balls of dough and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place a few inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are set in center and they begin to crack-about 10 minutes