Freezer mashed potatoes

These mashed potatoes are delicious and freeze really well because of the high fat content.

6 medium white or yellow potatoes (I usually prefer to use yellow because it gives the dish a nicer colour, but I used what I had on hand, which were white this time around.

Enough water to cover the potatoes for boiling

2 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons milk

1/2 cup cream cheese

1/4 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Please note quantities aren’t exact because as usual, I “eyballed” it…

Method

In a large pot over medium heat, boil the potatoes in salt water. When the potatoes are very soft, drain them. You can check the softness of the potatoes by inserting a fork into them. If the fork goes in easily and a bit of the potato floats away, they’re ready.

Return the potatoes to the pot, add the milk, and mash the potatoes. When they’re mostly mashed, add the butter and mash again.

Mix in the cream cheese and sour cream, and give the potatoes one more mash for good measure.

Stir in the garlic powder and salt. Do a taste test and adjust these to your liking.

After ensuring the cream cheese and sour cream have truly mixed in with the potatoes, transfer the mashed potatoes to a 12-cup muffin tin. Place in the freezer for about 3 hours, then pop the mashed potatoes out and store in a container or freezer bag.

You can then take out individual portions for warming up for lunches when you’re out and about.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Yum! Brilliant idea to freeze them in individual portions like that.

1 Like

Future you is thanking you right now! :laughing:

1 Like