From appliqued quilt to bag

Many years ago (before my time at my kids’ elementary), a class (or classes) made a couple quilts where the students cut out shapes of houses, birds, and flowers and appliqued them to fabric and made pretty good sized quilts.

I believe they were in school storage somewhere and my art teacher friend was given them. She did not want them as quilts and there isn’t really a place or purpose to display them at school as we don’t know exactly who made them.

However, they are neat, and so she asked me to make pillows. I cut out the pillow pieces, but there was still quite a bit from the larger quilt left over. It’s a part she doesn’t really like very much with some people shapes.

I decided to make it into a tote bag.

Because it was already quilted, the batting was already there! (I like a sturdy and soft tote!)

I’ve been destashing, and part of that is using some tablecloths that you are supposed to be able to use chalk on. I’ve used it as a liner before. It’s loud, so not my favorite, but I’m using it!

I had some smaller strips from the quilt that I added bias to for straps.

I need to get some fabric glue to adhere some unruly spots as I chose to not try to do more free form quilting on it. Other than that, I think it’s fun!

I’m not sure what we will do with it, but it’s been remade into something new and très chic!

24 Likes

I am so, so in love with this bag. @Lynx, your creativity and talent never ceases to amaze me.

2 Likes

I bet if you have leftover pieces you could thrill future swap partners with your creations. wink wink

2 Likes

I have a couple small pieces left over that could be zip pouches. One lends itself pretty good to a cute wall hanging. Or, there could be a few mug rugs.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

This makes my swapping heart so happy!

2 Likes

Love love love!

2 Likes

Oh my gawp this is amazeballs. I am wild about every little bit of it. That you rescued the parts your (clearly mistaken, I mean what?) friend didn’t like (WHAT?!), that you used stash, that it has a lining that can be wiped down so is terrific for grocery shopping, that it was made by grade school children and looks frikken amazeballs! That girl in the shirt with stars on it? I am in love with this project. I seriously and for real think this is the best thing ever.

3 Likes

Doesn’t it just make the coolest bag ever? My friend may like those parts better as a bag than a pillow (I get it), but I think it’s fun fun fun!

2 Likes

Oh, way better tote bag than pillow! I’m imagining some young adult or teen going about their day in your town and seeing that bag, and suddenly they are hit with deja vu because it looks so familiar…because they helped make the quilt in the first place! What a great save, it turned out so well.

4 Likes

Great way to repurpose quilts. It looks great

1 Like

What a fantastic way to give this a whole new life! So cheery and lively!

2 Likes

Knitting bag!!

2 Likes

Love this. Love the colors and the history. I think it would make an awesome project bag also.

2 Likes

I love every little bit!! Every thread. Every little shape. It was meant to be.

2 Likes

I’m with the others!! Love it as a bag!!!

Makes me want a bag like that too! Mhm I could use a few projects that I made but didn’t like enough to swap, oooh, so many possibilities!!

Thanks so much for sharing! I am inspired!

:metal:t2:

2 Likes

Love this!

2 Likes

What an awesome way to repurpose the arty quilts. I love your finished tote bag!

1 Like

This project is amazing top to tail!

2 Likes

This super fun bag has been picked as one of this week’s featured projects. Thank you for being an awesome part of LettuceCraft. You are awesome!

3 Likes

Thank you! This made my day!

1 Like