Gertrude Dragon

Eeee, I’m so excited to post this that I can’t wait until morning and better light for photos! I have poured SO many hours into this dragon and she’s finally finished, so without further ado, allow me to introduce Gertrude Dragon!

She is from yet another Pica Pau pattern (book 1 again this time rather than 2), but this time I just slightly modified the pattern. The dragon in the book is green and pink, but I changed up the color palette just for fun. Also, I thought the spikes along her back and tail were a little small (the smaller ones called for just a magic circle and only one row of stitches around it), so I made both the smaller and larger spikes one row larger than the pattern said.

There were SOOOOO many pieces, and more new techniques for me to learn (new to me this time were the bobble stitch for the nostrils and toes, and an interesting square flap technique for covering the belly), and so much to sew together, but I am so happy with the result.

Gertrude is going to be a present for a good friend of mine who’s finally getting over COVID. On top of being sick, her work has been truly horrible to her about the whole experience, and I know she really needs a pick-me-up. Since she is also the DM for one of my D&D groups, I figured a friendly dragon ought to do the trick! (We haven’t actually met any dragons in any of our campaigns yet, but come on, it’s in the NAME of the GAME!)

I’ll admit though, that as soon as I decided to make the dragon lavender instead of green, I’ve started thinking of her as Mad Madam Mim. XD So maybe not so friendly? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now I just have to package her up so she can fly to the rescue! XD

31 Likes

She is so great!

1 Like

Ahhhh! I love it!

1 Like

She’s adorable!

1 Like

This is great! Definitely an increase in complexity.

1 Like

Gertrude is awesome…yay you for making it for your friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

She’s perfect!

1 Like

She is amazing! Love this dragon to bits.

1 Like

DRAGON TOES!!! :scream_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat: Eeeee!!

1 Like

She’s wonderful!! Great job!! :dragon: :fireworks: :trophy:

1 Like

This is amazing! I’m sure your friend will love her. :heart:

1 Like

Adorkable!
maybe she’s Madamoiselle Mim, the young version of Madame Mim, before she became evil?

1 Like

@roler, you are rocking these crochet creatures!
Gertrude is perfect, I love the colors you chose.
I hope she cheers up your friend, and maybe spits some fire on mean work people.

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

Gertrude took some family photos today before leaving for her new home!

9 Likes

Gertrude is awesome!

1 Like

I like your color palette much more than green and pink, and look at all those scales! Were they attached individually?

1 Like

That is adorable!

1 Like

Yup, they were! ^^; That was definitely the most frustrating part! Also the last step though, so when I finished I was REALLY finished! XD

1 Like

Love the family photos! These creatures are so cute. I love the you switched up the colors. These books have been such an inspiration for you. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoy seeing them.

1 Like

I love how tight your stitches are. I remember when you first learned! Look at you go!!

3 Likes