Ginormous fleece-backed tshirt blanket

Years ago I made my first tshirt quilt out of some of our favourite clothes. There are shirts in there from events and siblings and so many fun times. It ended up getting so enormous I had to empty a room to use the floor, ha!

I wasn’t sure what to do about backing a blanket like this so I decided to do something similar to a rag quilt, the sort made with an exposed seam allowance that you snip so it frays. Since I was using tshirts which don’t fray I chose fleece for the other side and set about collecting ugly pull overs from the thrift shop I thought nobody would ever wear. I consider them rescued and given a new life :wink:.

The blanket lives on my eldest’s bed and I’m pretty sure he loves it, even though he’s too cool now to ever express such a sentiment.

I did something really neat with the left-overs too!

18 Likes

Wow! That is very cool.

1 Like

Really awesome! T-shirt quilts get big fast!! I am learning that with the soccer one I am making!

1 Like

That’s so great! I know the front is the sentimental side, but I’m digging the colours on the back, too.

1 Like

I love it.

1 Like

I think this is the method I’m going to use when I make my own tee shirt quilt (after making 1 or 2 more that friends requested).

1 Like

It works with 2 layers of tshirt too, there are some photos here. I turned the layers so they were going across on one side and up and down on the other to stagger the stretch, then used a narrow zigzag stitch to allow for some flexibility in the seams. I know some people fuse interfacing on to stabilize the shirt fabric but it seems fine without it. Both younger kids have had their blankets for years and one of them is the opposite of gentle!

1 Like

What a great quilt!

1 Like