Grapefruit Poppyseed Layer Cake

Grapefruit isn’t for everyone. Luckily, it’s not everyone’s birthday - it is mine though! :birthday:

I used this recipe and pretty much stuck exactly to it.

I used three 8" cakes - the recipe also works with four 6".

I was given this mix of sprinkles for Christmas and decided to use them on the top for a little festive touch.

The filling is grapefruit curd and I think this is the first time I have made a curd. Very satisfying to make! There is also fresh grapefruit juice in the cake along with sour cream. With the cream cheese in the frosting, this makes a really nice balance of bitter, sweet, sour, and tangy. The cake is moist and has a very nice tooth.

Apologies for the poor lighting. A combination of time-of-day, time-of-year, and latitude make for difficult conditions for food photography.

ADDENDA: This recipe would work with any fresh citrus you like. It uses 2 cups of fresh juice (one for the curd and one for the cake) and took about 3.5 ruby red grapefruits (the only kind available at the store I usually go to), so whatever you choose, get a lot of 'em!

The original recipe states that the frosting is enough only to frost the cake, not to do special decorating. I had about a cup left over. I wasn’t especially stingy with it, but I also don’t go for especially heavy frosting as that much overwhelms me a bit.

I followed the options for making this over a few days and it worked out really well for me. I wasn’t so exhausted as to resent the cake upon completion. :wink:

31 Likes

lovely!
happy happy joy joy!

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be to my taste, but that being said:
It looks amazing and you did an awesome job on it!
Bon appetit!

1 Like

Beautiful cake! Looks very festive.

1 Like

This both looks and sounds delicious!

1 Like

Oh wow, I’ve never heard of grapefruit cake, but it looks really yummy! Happy Birthday! :cake:

1 Like

Beautiful cake, happy birthday!

1 Like

Thanks so much, everyone!

1 Like

The cake is beautiful and sounds really good. I like grapefruit.

2 Likes

Looks so pro! Nice job and Happy B’day!

1 Like

Yum! I love grapefruit, it’s so fresh & delicious.
Happy birthday to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy birthday! Your cake looks delicious… I’ve seen lemon-poppyseed, of course, but never grapefruit-poppyseed.

1 Like

So beautiful!! :heart_eyes: And I love grapefruit; so I’ll have to keep this in mind!

1 Like

Happy birthday beautiful. Lovely cake. Lovely lady

2 Likes

Sounds amazing! I used to hate grapefruit until I was pregnant with my now-14-year-old. Then I craved it! Now I love it. Happy birthday!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the birthday wishes!

I had not heard of grapefruit curd or baked grapefruit desserts either, but saw this on pinterest and got inspired.

3 Likes

Beautiful cake! Sounds delicious and looks professional. HBD! :partying_face:

1 Like

I can take or leave grapefruit but this looks delicious. I would definitely try it.
Happy Birthday! :birthday:

1 Like

Thanks, friends!

1 Like

This looks delicious! I just got put on a med that makes grapefruit toxic to me. I’ve taken it before and I drank some Sunny D without realizing there was grapefruit juice in it. I felt horrible for hours after that. I’m so glad I can’t reach through the computer to taste this cake, because I think I’d risk feeling sick for a bite! :drooling_face:

1 Like