Hands Around the World Temari

While browsing my local library’s craft books, I picked up Japanese Temari by Barbara B. Suess. Just a few days later, @endymion posted their first temari project! What good luck to be able to follow the process of a fellow beginner here. This is my first ball, using a pattern of interlocking squares from the book.

My base is a large pompom ball, wrapped in stash yarn. I don’t know what kind it is, I got it in a mixed bag at a thrift store.

Then I wrapped it with cotton thread (inherited vintage, not strong enough for my machine).

I used silver metallic floss (terrible to work with, do not recommend except that it does look nice) to mark out a simple 8 division.

The book was very helpful and the pattern easy to follow, although I did have to redo some parts to fix my own beginner mistakes.

The pattern is 4 squares, alternating white and light pink (I changed the colors somewhat from the book). The empty spaces get filled in with starbursts to incorporate the division lines. I love how it looks and can’t wait to try another one!

22 Likes

WOW! That is so beautiful.

1 Like

You did a beautiful job on this. I am just in love with the tamari balls.

1 Like

It turned out very nice! Yes, the silver metallic really adds a bit of shine…it looks quite round and even…

So glad that a few people are interested in trying this…it is inspiring to see “beginners” having such success!

1 Like

Oh, wow! Yours looks absolutely perfect!!! It’s so cool that we are both interested in this at the same time. I had not thought to use a pompon ball; great idea!

3 Likes

Stunning! Love the colors and the interlocking squares are so dramatic.

1 Like

Wow, what an awesome beginner project. I love seeing these lovely Temari balls bounce into creation!

1 Like

Gorgeous! And I was so excited to see more than one crafter attempting this, that is SO ENCOURAGING!

2 Likes

The interlocking squares are stunning! Thank you for sharing your process!

:metal:

1 Like

Oh my gosh, I think I picked that book up from my library, too! I looked through it, liked it, and had one of those “one day I’ll make this” sighs.

1 Like

Check it out!! The steps are very easy to follow, and it’s a low cost investment to get started. You may already have everything you need!

Beautiful! You make it look so easy but I am sure it is harder than it looks. Thanks for sharing the progress pictures.

1 Like

This is amazing.

1 Like

I have purchased some Christmas ornaments from antique stores that look like temari balls, but included beads. They’re very pretty. I’ll check out the book from the library again.

1 Like

Geez, I must have looked at it longer ago than I thought. It wasn’t at my current county library, so I’m getting it through Interlibrary Loan. Five other libraries in the area have it, so I’m not worried.

1 Like

Yay for ILL!

1 Like

I … LOVE … THIS

Can’t wait to see more you do :smiley:

2 Likes

Congrats! You are one of the featured projects for this week! YAHOO!

1 Like

Aw thank you! And thanks to everyone who commented!

Congrats! That’s great!