While browsing my local library’s craft books, I picked up Japanese Temari by Barbara B. Suess. Just a few days later, @endymion posted their first temari project! What good luck to be able to follow the process of a fellow beginner here. This is my first ball, using a pattern of interlocking squares from the book.
My base is a large pompom ball, wrapped in stash yarn. I don’t know what kind it is, I got it in a mixed bag at a thrift store.
Then I wrapped it with cotton thread (inherited vintage, not strong enough for my machine).
I used silver metallic floss (terrible to work with, do not recommend except that it does look nice) to mark out a simple 8 division.
The book was very helpful and the pattern easy to follow, although I did have to redo some parts to fix my own beginner mistakes.
The pattern is 4 squares, alternating white and light pink (I changed the colors somewhat from the book). The empty spaces get filled in with starbursts to incorporate the division lines. I love how it looks and can’t wait to try another one!