Happy, bright and fun stola

Hi all,

I have admired a wrap / stola like this for ages:

and I decided I should try to make one in 2020. I can crochet several different stitches, have more than enough yarn in my stash and I want to try to crochet without a pattern, just follow my heart.

Any suggestions on what stitch I should really add to this? What do you think would be suitable for a stola?
It doesn’t have to be like the stola I showed, it is only here for inspiration.

I just want to gather ideas and stitches, which hopefully helps me form my idea/plan. You are my crafty family :smile:

Thanks!!

9 Likes

I personally would be a little intimidated trying to make something like this without a pattern. If it were me I would at least look at a few simple patterns on ravelry to figure out the construction first, then figure out what stitches I like and work from there.

3 Likes

The shape is basically a Baktus shawl, than you add flowers. I think I can crochet that, just by looking at the picture. I am only thinking about which stitch to use.

I’m thinking about popcorn stitch for a row or 2 and the leaf stitch for a few rows.

When the basic shape is finished I will add flowers, I have several pinned. I can’t make that up while I crochet.

I think I can do it! If not, or if I don’t like it, I will just take it apart :wink:

Thanks for your comment!

3 Likes

wow …that is an ambitious project…I am still working on my Frida afghan from two or maybe three years ago!

I want to make something colorful but a little simpler…

flower shawl

2 Likes

My crochet skills are only at granny squares level, so I’m no help, but yes! Do this! Yay for just making something that’s your very own awesomeness :rainbow:

2 Likes

I know at one time there was a Frida inspired flower afghan pattern. I bet you could use that pattern for this.

2 Likes

That is gorgeous inspiration and an ambitious project! I am no help as I am a level 1 crocheter, but I can not wait to see what you come up with.

2 Likes

Thank you, my crafty family for all your comments!

@AIMR, dream big :smile: haha! And if it doesn’t work out the way I want, I just buy a pattern haha :wink:
That flower shawl is on my list too, I made a shawl from that designer and I love it!

(posted that on the site we shall not name :wink: )

Thanks! I know there are so many free form crocheters and this shouts free form all over (well at least that is what I hear)

@kittykill, oh that is a good one! Thanks!

@Raury, thanks! I really have to finish a few WIP first, but will keep you updated!

3 Likes

That is beautiful!! She does have some gorgeous ones…and she does the chart which is like. Now I want them all!

2 Likes

@AIMR this would be a great accent to the Frida afghan!

1 Like

Holy Moly, that is fab-u-lous!

2 Likes

That is a gorgeous shawl! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

2 Likes

You are much more ambitious than I. I have made things without a formal pattern before; but nothing so complicated. Crochet is a wonderful medium to experiment with. If you know the basic stitches and how to read a pattern, you can make just about anything!!!

I will see if I can find my crochet stitch book and make some recommendations. If I don’t, I still will look forward to seeing what you come up with!

2 Likes

Thanks! I am open to (for?) suggestions!

I actually think this isn’t a very complicated project. The shape is baktus shawl and then you lots of flowers. But we shall see haha, maybe it is way too ambitious :joy:

2 Likes

For crochet, this has a surprisingly a tighter stitch selection - perhaps to give structure for the floral motifs, which most appear stitched on.

It sounds like you are both interested in following this general look, but also going on your own. Both of which are cool! But what you dream would most likely determine your stitch selection.

The Malia Cowl has an interesting braid stitch I have used to give structure as well (e.g. followed by a more openwork piece), as well as an 8 count puff stitch:
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/malia-classic-cowl

I also like a braid laying on top to give some texture and pull the gaze: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/goldenrod-sweater

I do not generally like fringe, but sometimes a motif is appealing, and I have a personal fondness for this edging (or to crochet, and attach scattered across one side): https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crescent-moon-shawl-a

I DO really like the darker “grout” of this shawl (as opposed to the more popular white). To me, it’s very soothing.

I think it would be interesting to go through either your pins or your rav (if you are on there), and take notes as to what overall themes, stitches, etc. you are drawn to. Basically, profile yourself! And then work from there!

I’m excited to see what you come up with!

2 Likes

@JoyfulClover, I have been pinning on a board I dedicated to this project :smile:
Yes, I’m on Ravelry too, will check them for interesting stitches too.

Thanks a lot for all the links you added! They are all what I really love, you and I think alike :smiley:
I don’t like fringes either, but that edging is really lovely. I think I even got that one pinned haha

Agreed on the more closed and or tighter stitches, I don’t think an open motif will be suitable for the flowers I want to add. And I don’t like the look of that with this stola.

I think it will be a fun experiment and experience to try and make something like this. Again, thanks for all your tips and links! :+1:t3::orange_heart:

2 Likes

I would love to see your board! Particularly as it sounds like you want less openwork! I wonder if I would pick out the same things you would!

You indicating already having the stash…I would love to see what the overall colors might be!

Yas! Make the things! Make that awesome warm stole that screams YOU!!

2 Likes

I hope this wil work:

I mostly have bright colours in my stash, but I do have some darker tones too. I will have to sort it out and see what colours will work good together.

Thanks, your enthusiasm makes me even more enthusiastic! :joy:

1 Like

It would be so lovely to wear a flower garden…

2 Likes

Pretty stola and great inspiration.

1 Like