Happypotamus III

I made another happypotamus!

Pattern: Happypotamus The Happy Hippo (ravelry link)
Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (cloudburst) and various Mira mini skeins (left over from my last hippos!)
Hook: C (2.75 mm)

This was started last year, picked back up this month to work on during the Thing-A-Day February 2024 Craftalong, and now itโ€™s done!

I started out with 2 back feet and some partially finished motifs. After day 1:

I didnโ€™t want to weave in a lot of ends, so I used only 2 colors for each motif instead of different colors for every round. I also used the invisible join from the pattern to join the motifs so I didnโ€™t have to sew them all together.

Day 7, in the middle of joining a motif:

The motifs arenโ€™t completely solid, so to prevent stuffing from showing through, I put a t-shirt inside first (with the bottom and sleeves sewn shut) and put the stuffing inside the t-shirt. I stitched the neck hole closed by hand before adding the last motif.

After stuffing, but before adding the last motif:

For the eyes, I used 1/2" (12 mm) buttons, and I braided some leftover yarn for the tail.

This hippo ended up a bit smaller than my other ones (~14" long and ~6" tall at the shoulder), so I should have started stuffing it earlier. It was a bit difficult to push stuffing into the back end when the neck was so small, so it ended up a little bit front heavy. :laughing:

More pictures:

These ones remind me of an animal cracker!

Some of the in progress pics from the craftalong:

28 Likes

You finsihed! This is amazing. I have never heard of stuffing with something first to hind the fluff. Genius and makes it so much more professional looking. This is absolutely adorable!!!

2 Likes

It looks so great! And how smart to use a t-shirt to prevent stuffing from showing through!

1 Like

Super cute!

1 Like

This makes me so happy!! :hippopotamus:

1 Like

Oh gosh, Iโ€™ve been meaning to make one of these for agesโ€ฆ I like the 2-color panels, and the interior lining. Very nice.

1 Like

I.Love.It! You did an amazing job, incredible!

1 Like

Iโ€™m not a stuffie gal, but I WANNA SNUGGLE THIS HIPPO SO HARD! Just so, so sweet and jolly!

1 Like

Adorable!!! He came out super cute!

1 Like

Heโ€™s awesome and you got really great shaping going on there, too. You must love this little guy!

1 Like

This is just so adorable, and beautifully made too!!

1 Like

Great job! Those little ears are just so cute! Love seeing all of the progress pictures here and in the Thing a Dayโ€ฆyou just kept on keeping on!

1 Like

He is so adorable! I have this pattern but I donโ€™t like the joining of the hexagons or sewing, so I never finished it.
Maybe I will do some day.

Love the colours you used, he is the cutest :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Heโ€™s awesome!!! I love his roundness and that little tail!

1 Like

That is genius to use a t-shirt first, then stuff it. He looks so happy to be made! Heh, my favorite pic is the juicy booty, because it makes me giggle. I am in awe.

2 Likes

Love the colors. They go along with your board name.

1 Like

Aww, so huggable! It was fun watching your progress. So cute!

1 Like

Thank you all! :grin:

:hippopotamus: :yellow_heart: :yarn: Congratulations! Your adorable Happypotamus II is a Featured Project this week! :yarn: :yellow_heart: :hippopotamus:

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like