Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2023

@Abbeeroad , I am abandoning my AS (Not) Pink Fizz Sweater. I frogged the wip and started a new sweater with it in Feb.

Class: Flying
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name: GF Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Project Description: Bananas went too ripe, chocolate chips started to bloom. Time for muffins to prevent waste! LOL. I made some with no nuts, since I brought some to the office to share.
I followed the recipe from MamaKnowsGlutenfree.com
Project Pic:

Class: Book Club Ch 8:thrilled with outcome
Project Name: First Ever Handspun skein
Project Description: I took a spinning class to try spinning on a wheel ( I had only used drop spindle previously, and had never finished anything). I spun 2 bobbins and plied them together in one session! The skein still needs to be soaked. I can’t remember what specific type of wool it is… It’s lumpy and bumpy but I’m so proud of it!!
There isn’t a specific pattern for this craft, but here’s a basic tutorial for spinning a 2 ply yarn.

Edited to add: the wool is Romney!

Project Pic:

5 Likes

Squee! Your first plied yarn! How exciting - and the texture is gorgeous!

1 Like

Thank you!! I can’t wait to do more. I enjoy the wheel so much more than drop spindles. I picked up a used Ashford Traditional at MDSW this past weekend. Just need to replace a couple things and then I can play with it. :blush:

Speaking of, would refurbishing a wheel count for the May Challenge?

1 Like

Good to see you! I removed this proposal from the log. Feel free to propose a new one!

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Chair Glow up
Brief Description:
This chair is a solid piece, but needs a lot of love. I will be stripping it down, refinishing or painting the wood, and replacing the vinyl upholstery with heavy cloth.
This will require some research on my part, as I have never reupholstered this particular style of chair pad. It will be a long project with all the cleaning, sanding, research, refinishing and new padding.

6 Likes

It’s got good bones - can’t wait to see what you do with it!

1 Like

Added to the log! What an interesting project. Good luck!

1 Like

Class: Potions
Project Name: Through the Witch’s Garden shawl
Ravelry page link
Project Description: a dark blue, sparkly lacey knitted shawl that I intend to enter into this year’s Grange Fair. It was an intense lace pattern, and I am very happy to be finished it!
Pattern by Rhyflowerknits , in Destination Yarns. More details in Ravelry project page.
Project Pic:

6 Likes

Wow!! What a stunner!! Good luck at the fair!

1 Like

Oh my word that’s real yarn magic!

2 Likes

Oh, wow! That is downright gorgeous!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!! The fair is in August, so I’ll be sure to update you then!

2 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Chapter 8
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Entwined Star Block
Brief Description: I’m absolutely thrilled with how This block came out. The matching diagonal points came together so well.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Snail Trail Block
Brief Description: Snails can leave slimy trails!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Wonky Star Block
Brief Description: The fabrics for this (and all the other) blocks all came from my stash!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: Log Cabin Block
Brief Description: I’ve made so many Log Cabin blocks over the years, I was able to zone out making this one, even while making it as a variation on the traditional version.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Double Aster Quilt Block
Brief Description: This block has tons of straight lines that make up tons of triangles.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Beautiful blocks!

1 Like

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll:
Note from the Headmistress…

My dear friends,
As you know, this round of the HP Craftalong is coming to a close on May 31. Normally I would be working on planning our new round with the members who serve as professors. But I’decided that we will be taking a break, at least for the summer. This decision has been one I’ve wrestled with for a while, and has numerous reasons.

The HPC has been running continuously since 2012, and I’ve been running nearly that whole time. Back when it started, we were on Craftster, and we had more members, often having as many as 45 people participating per term. Often I would check the thread after a couple hours and there would be multiple new posts to see! Slowly over the years those numbers have dwindled. As of today, we have just 8 people who have posted this term.

Frequently 2 or 3 people will show up on the last day or two of the term to post a ton of projects. While it’s always wonderful to see what these folks have been up to, the spirit of a Craftalong is to share as we make. Showing up to post just at the end, feels more like a chore or a requirement, than something we do for fun and inspiration.

When this topic of slow participation has come up in the past, numerous folks have often chimed in to say “I’ve been so busy with x & y, but now that z is over, I’ll be able to craft and post more. I promise!” And while some people have come back to participating, often that is not the case. And that’s ok! People have busy lives and lots to worry about. Not participating should not be a reason for guilt or shame.

While there have been various changes made to how we do things over the years, the HPC has also largely remained the same during that time. After this long, I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels the prompts repeating themselves, and new inspiration lacking. At this point I think I’ve exhausted my supply of season & holiday inspired Headmistress prompts!

I think perhaps there is a lull in enthusiasm for the Fandom as a whole right now. The books are all done, the films have all come out, so there isn’t as much hype out in the real world for the next thing. And of course, there is controversy surrounding J.K. Rowling herself, which has caused some fans to leave. And podcasts diving deeper into that controversy to possibly push back. I truly wonder what will happen when the new HBO show premiers. Will there suddenly be a resurgence of love for the franchise and demand for All Things Potter again?

As for us, I am not closing the door on this Craftalong. Simply taking the summer off. As fall approaches, I will post a poll in this thread, asking if people wish for a new term for Winter. I will also welcome any ideas for changes people wish to see to the Craftalong. I know that I do not craft to the prompts we have, and I suspect many of you don’t either. I usually just make what I want to make, then find a prompt that fits with. Perhaps we should reexamine how we function. Should we have Houses? Should we declare a winning House at the end of the term? Should we have as many prompts, or should our prompts be more open ended? These are all things to think about.

Please feel free to ask questions and leave your thoughts here.

5 Likes

I do enjoy the Craftalong. I love to plan and think of what to make that can fit the prompts, even though for the most time, I craft what I want.

I cant say that we should do this or that, because I dont know what to suggest. I try to participate and post during the crafts (well, after I have some classes ready, because I dont want to spam), and this term hasnt been my best. I was so looking forward the summer term! Already drew some pages for it in my bujo! :joy:
But I do understand where you coming from. And taking a break is a good thing. I will craft stuff either way, maybe join another craftalong during summer. Maybe just craft for fun. And I be back in the autumn hoping for more terms. If that wont be the case, at least I have had a good time with lovely people in this craftalong.

Have a great summer @MistressJennie and we will see you here in the autumn! (of course I hope we will see you in other threads during the summer too!)

2 Likes

I will admit that I have been pulled in other directions these days and getting around to posting projects here does feel like a “chore.” :pensive:

I will welcome a summer off to potentially recharge the excitement and will think about some new ideas. I hope you know that we have loved and appreciated this corner of LC/C-ster for all of those 10+ years @MistressJennie! :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I’ve also been lax about posting in this craft-along as I get things finished…not that I’ve finished a whole lot lately.

It has been fun playing along for the last year or two that I’ve participated, and I hope that you can find the time and inspiration again in the future to bring it back.

On that note, I did pop in to show y’all my progress on my Advanced Studies project!

No pictures, but four out of nine rows are sewn up as of right now. Hoping to make more progress this weekend.

7 Likes