Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2023

:mortar_board:~ Advanced Studies ~:mortar_board:

What are Advanced Studies?

• Advanced Studies are more complex and challenging than typical crafting projects. They can be in any category or genre that you wish
  • You are to choose the course of study you wish to take in a particular subject. Research your desired subject, find a facet of that subject that you wish focus your advanced studies. Form a plan of action, and make your proposal. The possibilities are endless!

:hourglass_flowing_sand:How long should Advanced Studies take?:hourglass_flowing_sand:

• Advanced Studies are more time-consuming than regular HPC classes and challenges. There is no hard and fast rule on how many hours a project should take, because speed and difficulty levels are too subjective. What we are really looking for is a project that will be a personal challenge to you. That being said…
  • Advanced Studies should generally take 3-4 weeks to complete

:memo:Proposing Advanced Studies:memo:

• You must propose your Advanced Studies before starting so that we may be your cheerleaders and help encourage you during this more challenging craft adventure
  • When you have settled on a challenging project that will take the required amount of time that you would like to propose, post in the HPC thread using the following header:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name:
House:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)

• Your proposed project will be added to the ongoing list of proposed Advanced Studies projects by the Advanced Studies Examiner, @Abbeeroad
  • Please note, you may only work on up to 2 Advanced Studies project at a time. Please do not propose new Advanced Studies until your current ones are complete
  • You may propose an Advanced Studies project at any time during the semester
  • Advanced Studies can carry over to the next semester
  • If you decide to abandon and Advanced Studies project, notify your Advanced Studies Examiner, @Abbeeroad, and the log will be erased from the record. Once you have submitted to have an old Advanced Studies project erased, you can propose a new one
  • Please note, after 3 years, old Advanced Studies project will be removed from the log automatically unless an extension is requested by an active HPC member

:mortar_board:Completing Advanced Studies:mortar_board:

• Once you propose, you may start your Advanced Studies project right away! You do not need to wait for approval to begin crafting
  • Feel free to add progress pics in the HPC thread. Advanced Studies Fridays is a great time to share!
  • Once your project is complete, post a picture of your project in the HPC using the header provided below

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House:
Project Name:
Project Page Link: (if available)
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:

Each completed Advanced Studies project you post will earn your House 100 points!

~ ADVANCED STUDIES LOG ~

Proposals

:lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Abbeeroad: Everyday Raglan, April 20, 2022
PrincessP: Crochet Sampler Wall Hanging, September 18, 2020
RubeusUmbrella: Blanket of Calm, June 9, 2020

:badger: Hufflepuff :badger:
beholder_folklore: Cross Stitch Portrait, October 1, 2020
fishstix43: Camp Dress Pattern, January 23, 2023
GMPNQ: Dragon skin bag, February 24, 2020
GMPNQ: Victorian shawl, March 31, 2020
jillybeans: Castle Cross Stitch, April 2, 2020
Moonflame: Muggle Studies, Feb 10, 2018 (reinstated January 14, 2022)
Moonflame: Hufflepuff Mittens, July 5, 2021
Noodle: Brioche Shawl/blanket, October 23, 2021
Noodle: Turquoise Cardi, April 16, 2022
plaidpineapple: Wool Coat, February 21, 2022
plaidpineapple: Irish Chain Quilt, March 27, 2022
seeuudee: Memory Teddies, June 21, 2021
skrutt: Wall-hanging with melpasöm, September 11, 2021
Teachergirl: Project of Doom Quilt sections, August 26, 2021
Trillian: Monster Quilt, June 10, 2020
Trillian: Yellow Gradient Socks, June 25, 2020

:eagle: Ravenclaw :eagle:
Audania1: Annie’s Afghan Sampler, June 19, 2020
jellybean: Arithmancy (Too Cool T-shirt Quilts) February 7, 2019 (reinstated February 3, 2023)
jellybean: Sophie’s Universe Blanket, August 19, 2020
Whistlefish: Every Season Stitch-A-Long by Tiny Modernist, February 22, 2020

:snake: Slytherin :snake:
AntBee: Flag Bunting for Party or Bedroom, July 1, 2021
AntBee: Christmas Countdown Garland, July 2, 2021
CraftsUntold: 1Up Quilted wall hanging, September 7, 2022
CraftsUntold: Chair Glow Up, May 9, 2023
imera: Pom pom chair, August 11, 2020
imera: Case of Happiness, February 2, 2022
Inselaeffchen: Nerdy Cross Stitch SAL, January 31, 2021
Inselaeffchen: Letters from Hogwarts SYOA, February 2, 2020
melg78: Yellow Gingham Blanket, May 29, 2022
tendstowardschaos: Cottage Core Anniversary Quilt, February 3, 2023
tendstowardschaos: Starry Batik Quilt, February 3, 2023

:tada:Completed:tada:

Project Name: Cottage Core Anniversary Quilt
House: Slytherin
Brief Description: This project will be an anniversary gift for my MIL and FIL, who were married in June, almost 61 years ago. I received two lovely charm packs in the quilt-along challenges, along with a pattern book to make use of them. I picked up a couple fabrics to coordinate with the charms and to back the quilt. The combination has a very cottage core aesthetic - lots of cool, muted colors and classic prints and patterns. I’m hoping to make it a reasonably sized throw for the living room of their lake house.

Project Name: Starry Batik Quilt
Brief Description: My hoard of quilting batks has reached a point that I can definitely do something about it. I picked up a wonderful book of scrappy quilt patterns on the recommendation of @Magpie , and plan to make one of the starry quilts. It’s very likely that both the front and back of this quilt will be pieced since I certainly have enough fabric for it and I seem to have an aversion to making anything easy on myself…at least when it comes to quilts.

7 Likes

@tendstowardschaos - awesome projects! I’ve added them to the log!

Every year, I like to clean out old Advanced Studies Proposals. This year, we are clearing out 2019. If anyone would like to extend the projects below, let me know by this time next week! Otherwise, these will be removed from the record.

@Jenleahlynn jenleahlynn: Charms, Revelio, September 24, 2019

@madcrafter madcrafter: Charms, February 22, 2019

@jellybean jellybean: Arithmancy, February 7, 2019

Unfortunately these links went to Craftster, which is no longer a functioning website, so I don’t have a record of what these projects were. If you know and would like to update the information, I can do that as well! Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m still working on mine! I don’t have my original description, but it was to practice my quilting by making some Too Cool style t-shirt quilts from old t-shirts.

I have 3 small tops made & have a few more t-shirts to cut up & more t-shirt fabric to use:

3 Likes

Awesome!! I’ll reinstate yours! Thanks!!

2 Likes

There’s a new Site Wide Challenge! Remember, you can gain a 10 point bonus here in the HPC for submitting a project that you created for an LC Challenge.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Star Wars and Scraps Quilt
Brief Description: This quilt required no fewer than 616 squares of fabric, which, incidentally, is my area code. There are scores of different prints, scattered randomly throughout.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: fingerless gloves/wrist warmers
Brief Description: I made these for my brother who is always a bit chilly. I chose the yarn for him partly because of it’s soft feel and golden autumnal coloring as his b’day is in September.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

They’re lovely!

1 Like

Thank you!

Those came out great!

1 Like

Thanks!

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: mindless dish cloth
Brief Description: I find the back and forth simple and repetitive nature of “grandma’s favorite dishcloth” calming. Often I want to be crafting but just don’t have the mental bandwidth for following a pattern or learning something new. This is my antidote for those times. And bonus: this finished off my purple Lily sugar n creme.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: care package wrap
Brief Description: While observing Muggles in the Lounge I was made aware of a family who lost everything in a fire on Christmas eve/morning and felt compelled to make a care package. This shoulder wrap was included.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: dishcloth for magpie
Brief Description: This aqua blue dishcloth is off on the wing to magpie, a character who can cause uncontrollable laughter (sometimes just for herself! Lol).
Project Picture:

5 Likes

House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Super basic bread
Brief Description: I am specifically Not A Baker, but every once in a while do get the itch, and recently have been craving homemade bread. I used the recipe
here, got confused about whether it was supposed to make one or two loaves, and totally didn’t keep everything warm enough while rising(Wisconsin kitchen in winter isn’t exactly toasty), but got mostly edible bread. And there is nothing like the smell of bread baking. :grin:

Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress prompts - February challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Wool heart
Brief Description: I participated in a “make hearts-evening” and made a little heart made of wool fabric and embroidery. A material I love to work with, but dont do very often.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - February
Project Name & Page Link: Lohikeitto or Finnish Salmon-soup
Brief Description: The original plan was japanese curry, but since I lacked both ingredients and energy I went for the Finnish soup instead. First time doing it, and it was such a good soup! Im so happy and will make it again!

The recipe:
1 litre of water
300 g salmon, diced
2 cubes of fish broth (for 1 litre of water)
3-4 potatoes, diced
3-4 carrots, diced
1 yellow onion, finely diced
Salt
Pepper
1,5 dl creme
Fresh dill, chopped into tiny pieces

Boil the water and the broth cubes, add the vegetables and let boil for 5-7 minutes. Add the salmon and boil under lid for 5 more minutes.
Add the dill and creme and leave it with the lid on, for 5 minutes or so. Turn of the stove when you have added the creme.

Serve with rye bread or crisp bread. Very good, and easy to make!

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermiones book club - chapter 5
Project Name & Page Link: Dinner for my best friend
Brief Description: I servered the Finnish salmon-soup and crisp bread and for dessert we had ice cream with caramel sause. And since it was a fish-course we had white wine to drink. It was a success, my friend took both a second and a third. :smiley:
Project Picture: (He didnt want to be in the photo, but agreed to show that he was there :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Class/Challenge: Headmistress February Challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Pair of Dumpling Kitties
Brief Description: I love to crochet, so for this challenge, I made a pair of cute cats using one of my favorite patterns (Dumpling Kitty, Ravelry link).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Hermione’s Book Club, Chapter 5
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Three Cheese Meatball Mostaccioli
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made dinner to share with my boyfriend! I used this recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook & served it with garlic breadsticks and a salad.

I made a few changes based on what ingredients I had available: penne noodles instead of mostaccioli, a sprinkle of onion powder instead of a chopped onion, mozzarella instead of romano cheese, homestyle meatballs instead of italian, mushroom pasta sauce instead of meat, and I added ~1/3 of a jar of the pasta sauce because I had some in the fridge I needed to use.

It turned out well (even though the tops of the meatballs burned a little), but I’ll probably halve the recipe if I make it again because it was a lot of food.

Project Picture:

(before & after baking)

5 Likes

New Headmistress, Iron Chef and Book Club prompts have been posted!

4 Likes

SPEW or LC Contest: For Quilts of Valor Foundation
Project Name & Page Link: Split Star Quilt Blocks (25)
Brief Description: This big pile of quilt blocks features the color blue and was a joy to make!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 6: The Portkey
Project Name & Page Link: Grogu Pillowcases
Brief Description: As simple as these are to throw together, they absolutely delighted my DS2 on his birthday.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Project Name & Page Link: Cup Holder/Fingerless Mitts
Brief Description: Hopefully, the recipients won’t have to face down any flesh-eating slugs, but these mitts should cover their skin well enough to protect them from the chill of a refreshing beverage.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Challenge: Detention - Reparo
Project Name: Luns Transformation
Project Description: I’ve had this Luns unit for years but we haven’t utilized the chalkboard feature for ages now. Additionally, I needed a place to put my notebook and folder each day when I come home from work, because I can never figure out where I stashed them and it makes me crazy in the morning! I was looking at units at IKEA and on Amazon, but then realized that for MUCH less money, I could just transform what I already had to better suit my needs. I got some patterned sticky-back paper at dollar tree to cover the chalkboard (which was not brightening the entryway at all!) I also took out the little chalk trays and made a foamboard shelf to cover the holes that had held them. The extra piece of sticky paper went on the shelf, as well as a bit of washi tape to cover the front edge. Gold washi tape covered the small gap left on either side of the chalkboard, and I put the trays down on the bottom shelf to corral things so they wouldn’t fall out the sides. I had some glittery pink elastic that I attached to either side so that I would have a stretchy band to keep my notebook and folder on the shelf. It’s much brighter and happier now, and works great for my needs!
I didn’t remember to take a pic of it before, so here’s a stock photo and a pic of how it looks now.
Project Pics:
luns

6 Likes

Awesome transformation!

1 Like