Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2022/23

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Scrap Ripple Blanket
Brief Description: This was a test blanket to learn how to make the ripple crochet pattern before committing to a bigger one.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Hazelnut Doily
Brief Description: I translated this pattern, and most of a skein of hazelnut silk yarn into this autumn doily. I have some yarn left, and might try making a smaller matching one.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 4
Project Name & Page Link: Cheerful Dishcloths
Brief Description: No one can resist cheerful dishcloths for their kitchen.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Dec #1
Project Name & Page Link: Sauerkraut
Brief Description: I’ve wanted to try my hand at fermentation for a while now. So this past weekend I took a class through the local food co-op. They provided the materials and know-how, and we all crafted along in our own kitchens, while the class was taught online. My sauerkraut includes green cabbage, apple, carrot, and beet.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress January
Project Name & Page Link: Knooked Hat
Brief Description: I taught myself a new medium! Knooking! Knitting with a crochet hook. It’s not Tunisian crochet, and it’s not any number of crochet techniques that mimic knitting. It’s a knitted stitch, made with a crochet hook, along with a long cord to hold your stitches.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Beet Kvass & Pickled Veggies
Brief Description: A bold Gryffindor red color, and hopefully some bold flavors on these recipes. The kvass contains beet, cara cara oranges, and thyme and should be ready to drink later this week. The pickled veggies include beets, carrots, garlic, peppercorns, & pepper flakes, and will need a little a longer to develop.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Preserved Lemons
Brief Description: A bright and cheerful Hufflepuff yellow! These preserved lemons should brighten the flavor of many a meal in the months ahead, once they’ve finished softening.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Naughty Dishcloth
Brief Description: This project has a hidden message! (One that’s almost easier to read with the blur in place.) I made it for my SIL for Christmas.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Camp Dress Pattern
Brief Description: I’ve been admiring these tablecloth camp dresses from Psychic Outlaw for years, but the patterns I like are either never in my size or sell out immediately. I also have some prints that I’d like to make camp shirts out of. So the plan is:

1. Make a muslin of McCall’s 8067
  2. Make View C of the pattern with one of my real fabrics
  3. Draft or graft an existing skirt pattern onto the bottom
  4. Source fabrics and make camp dress!

Hopefully I’ll be able to get all the steps by the end of summer - I’m slow at garment sewing because I’m on the go so much, but this is my stake in the ground that it’s something I want to do and is worth making time for!

5 Likes

Wow, what a fun project!! I’ve added it to the log!

Reminder from the Headmistress…

This round of the Harry Potter Craftalong will close on Tuesday, January 31!

2 Likes

Cutting it rather fine with my homework this term!! :crazy_face:

Going to break them down into chunks, just so adding the photos doesn’t crash my little 'puter. (Poor thing is definitely going to need some TLC this year!)

Class or Challenge Title: Detention – Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Woven hanging
Brief Description: All from stash, including the piece of wood picked up on a dog walk some time ago, just because I liked it
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 2
Project Name & Page Link: Book of books
Brief Description: This book of books was mailed to someone very special in the 12 days of Christmas swap
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 3
Project Name & Page Link: Mini Christmas cards
Brief Description: These were crafted for my very special Girlguiding friends and fellow leaders
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompt (November)
Project Name & Page Link: Gonks
Brief Description: Something cuddly, with amazing beards – definitely channelling Robbie Coltrane
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompt (January)
Project Name & Page Link: Mushroom
Brief Description: Continuing practice of my new craft - after watching a few videos of people making needle-felted mushrooms, I decided to have a go as a 3d practice piece. (And learnt that I need to wire stems!)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 4
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate log
Brief Description: Everyone found it hard to resist the chocolatey-Christmas yummyness
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Reusable Christmas gift bags
Brief Description: A very simple gift bag with ribbon tie inspired by both Gryffindor and Slytherin colours
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Your log cake looks perfect! I’d have a hard time resisting it too!

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 2
Project Name & Page Link: Crocheted Messy Bun Hat
Brief Description: I’ve been dreaming of making myself something with some beautiful Malabrigo yarn for ages now, but never had a good excuse to. Then I moved to IL, which has actual winter, and it was all the excuse I needed for a new fancy hat. I started with this pattern, but didn’t like how it came out. I ended up frogging it down to the brim, then re-stitching with a slightly different cable pattern.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Dec #2
Project Name & Page Link: Healthy Maple Pecan Granola
Brief Description: I normally have steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, but something in the almond/cashew milk was upsetting my tummy, so I took a break from it for a while. While I’m on my oatmeal break, I tried making some healthy granola for breakfast. I used old fashioned oats, pecans, almonds, my favorite baking spice mix, maple syrup, and coconut oil. It’s amazing. Especially with berries in the morning.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Crocheted Cable Cowl
Brief Description: To go with my new hat, I decided to make myself a matching cowl. I just made up the pattern, based on what I did with the hat. It definitely commemorates our decision to move across the country after thinking we’d never move again!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Hildas scarf
Brief Description: My bunny needed a scarf, so I took some left over yarn that has some shiny thread in it, and made a cute little blue scarf with shimmer. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Lillians Mittens
Brief Description: Lillian is a colleague of mine, and she have had hard times in her life (and still do). So I thought I would make a pair of warm mittens for her, since she is easily frozen. Double wool makes for warm mittens, and they look so good with this technique!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress promts january
Project Name & Page Link: Test knitting “Chunky Little Cat”
Brief Description: Saw a post on Instagram, a Swedish designer that needed test knitters for her new mitten. And I thought that could be fun. And it was fun, and I got a pair of mittens with kittens on them! I really looked forward this project as it was something new, both trying to test knit, and made a new pair of mittens in a, for me, new yarn.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermiones book club december
Project Name & Page Link: Emil’s socks
Brief Description: Something for my bestie. A pair of socks. As he loves them. This is his 4th pair, and he uses them almost daily. (Im so glad to know they are so appreciated and gets to be used!)
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Valentines card
Brief Description: I decided that this year I will make my valentines card myself. And watercolor is a very good medium. I used some of what I learned from @Jemimah’s watercolor class. I plan to make some more, but these 4 are a good start! :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Very pretty! I’m glad to see you’re enjoying your watercolors.

1 Like

Class/Challenge: Detention, Stash
SPEW: Metro Detroit Share
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Baby Blankets
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made some baby blankets using stash yarn.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress January Challenge
SPEW: Metro Detroit Share
Project Name: Granny Square Baby Blankets
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made some granny square baby blankets.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Project turn in, just under the wire. Lots and lots of cooking this semester!

Class Apparition
Project Name: Dresser Makeover
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: Earlier this fall I refinished our old IKEA dressers. I added trim to the drawer fronts, primed and painted the pieces. Then I used a paintbrush to stain birch plywood and trim before attaching it to the top. Drawer pulls and feet were the final touch.
Project Picture:

**House:**Ravenclaw
Class Arithmancy
Project Name: Homemade Ramen Noodles
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: This was a completely new recipe to me and I really had no idea how it was going to turn out. I was optimistic, but somewhat expecting my noodles to turn out similar to regular old pasta. I was pleasantly surprised when the noodles turned out springy and chewy, like the noodles I had eaten in Japan!
Project Picture:

Class Charms
Project Name: Mayak Eggs
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: During the winter I make a lot of ramen, and these soft boiled eggs are one of my favorite things to add. Water plays a vital part in making this recipe, used not only to cook the eggs, but also in the marinade itself.
Project Picture:

Class DADA
Project Name: Spooky Halloween Cupcakes
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: For Halloween this year I decided to make a batch of spooky cupcakes. I used this recipe for red velvet cookies and cream cupcakes. I decorated them with candy eyes, candy tombstones and gel “blood”
Project Picture:

Class Flying
Project Name: Double Wedding Ring Quilt Top
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: Curved piecing is one of my least favorite quilting skills, but this term I got plenty of practice. I made this quilt top for my niece’s upcoming wedding in some of her favorite colors. It still needs to be quilted, but its getting there.
Project Picture:

Class Herbology
Project Name: Delicate Squash Bake with Tahini Sauce
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: This was one of the vegetable sides I brought to this years Friendsgiving. We have several meat-freers and I wanted to make sure they had plenty of options to eat. It was fantastic and I will be making it again in the future. The recipe come from Minimalist Baker.
Project Picture:

Class Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 4
Project Name: Maple Ginger Cookies with Turmeric
Project Page Link:
Brief Description: I make ginger cookies every year around Christmas time, and no one is able to resist them. This year I tried a new recipe and they were just as popular. Now I have a couple of options for ginger cookies!
Project Picture:

4 Likes

:zap::heart::tada::sparkles::yellow_heart::woman_mage: End of Term Feast :mage::green_heart::sparkles::tada::blue_heart::zap:

Welcome to the End of Term Feast! I have checked the school hour glasses, and the points stand thusly…

hourglasses
:green_heart: :snake: Slytherin: 3 students, 410 points , for an average of 136.66 points per student. :snake: :green_heart:
:yellow_heart: :badger: Hufflepuff: 4 students, 570 points, for an average of 142.5 points per student. :badger: :yellow_heart:
:blue_heart: :eagle: Ravenclaw: 3 students, 655 points, for an average of 218 points per student. :eagle: :blue_heart:
:heart: :lion: Gryffindor: 1 students, 400 points , for an average of 400 points per student. :lion: :heart:

:trophy: :heart: :lion: Congratulations to Gryffindor House! :lion: :heart: :trophy:

I hope you will all join us in the new Ostara Term!

4 Likes

Congrats, Gryffindor!

Lol…congrats Jennie! :lion:

2 Likes

Congrats Gryffindor! :lion:

Great projects everyone! Looking forward to seeing what posts in Spring!

That was my immediate thought :rofl:

Congrats Jennie :smile:

2 Likes