Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2022/23

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Green ribbed scarf
Brief Description: I tried 3 different scarf patterns with this yarn before finally just going with 2x2 rib all the way across - I love how thick it turned out.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Cool Toned scrap purse
Brief Description: Crumb quilting is my favorite way to make something out of a pile of scraps, definitely greater than the sum of its parts!
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Hello Friends! I know I haven’t been around much lately, and I am sorry for it. Thankfully we’ve arrived safely in IL, at our rental house. Nearly everything we own is in storage (the rental came furnished, sorta). We managed to make it in ahead of the crazy winter storm, and are starting to settle into a routine.

But in my rush to pack everything we own, it looks like I missed posting the Headmistress and Book Club prompts for November & December! Though, if you use Hermione’s Homework Planner, you will have seen that the shortened versions of the prompts have been there the whole time. I’ve gone ahead and updated the prompt post above. And since I was late in posting them here, you have until the end of January to post November & December’s prompts.

5 Likes

Here are your November & December prompts! Now to do a House Points tally… :sparkles:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Mini Dice Bowl
Brief Description: After making the tote bag below, I had bits of 4 of the silk chiffon ribbon yarns left, so I whipped up a mini dice bowl for my husband. Basically all of Jim’s D&D stuff got packed up and is in storage, including all his dice, and the dice bags and bowls I had made him.
So he ended up buying some extra dice yesterday to play with some friends, which have been living on the coffee table in a paper bag. Now they have a cozy little home.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Fireside Silk Chiffon Market Tote
Brief Description: Darn Good Yarn was having a crazy sale just before Christmas. The stuff in the sale bin was up for an extra 60% off the sale price, plus the member discount of another 10%. I think I paid $14.50 for the bundle of 5 skeins of ombre silk chiffon. Definitely the GOOD STUFF! Since our rental here is so small, and my entire ‘craft room’, is a paper shopping bag from Torrid stored under a chair in the dining room, I was determined to use the stuff I bought as soon as possible. Mission accomplished!
Project Picture:

6 Likes

I interrupt this normally scheduled programing to announce…it’s time to VOTE for our current challenges!!

Green Holiday Greens

Great Lettuce Craft Bake Off!

1 Like

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Striped Raglan Sweater
Project Page Link: Scrappy Stripes Raglan Sweater
Brief Description: This simple raglan sweater is my first knitted sweater! I started on August 1st, and just finished weaving in the ends yesterday. The knitting has been done for a while, but I had Christmas gifts to work on. It fits and, even though I’m not crazy about the color on me, it’s cozy and will get some good wear this Winter. I would definitely use this pattern again - it was fabulous!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Beverage/Fingerless Mitts
Brief Description: I used two different patterns (one for the cup holder mitt, one for the fingerless mitt). The yarn is leftover from the Doctor Who Scarf. I made these for a gift exchange, and a friend (who didn’t pick this gift) asked me to make more as a commission for her and several of her riding buddies.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Green Beanie
Brief Description: I made this low-key Slytherin green hat for my niece’s husband’s birthday. I’m working on making hats for every one of my in-laws…six to go.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - December Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Stripes Garter Stitch Scarf
Brief Description: My DH couldn’t find his wool scarf this year, so I whipped this one up from stash. Once again, it’s mostly leftovers from the Doctor Who Scarf, plus a little from the nephew’s beanie. I made the stripes pretty random, like the Doctor’s scarf, but in warm greens and browns, and not so long.
Project Picture:

8 Likes

These are great! That sweater is divine :heart_eyes:!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m on a knitting binge.

1 Like

New prompts have been posted for Headmistress Challenges, Iron Chef, and Hermione’s Book Club!

4 Likes

Congrats on finishing your first knitted sweater! I’m super jealous! :laughing: You earned 100 points for your house! Woohoo! :tada:

@MistressJennie - Thank you for posting the new Iron Chef! It completely got away from me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Miraculous Medal Decade Rosary
Brief Description: The design for the Miraculous Medal was given to a nun by an apparition of Mary, and prayer beads bearing the Medal feel almost magical in your hands. This is a single decade rosary with the Medal in the center.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: Saint Michael Decade Rosary
Brief Description: This rosary is made with green aventurine beads and shows an image of Saint Michael vanquishing Satan (who is often depicted as a serpent or dragon-like creature).
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class/Challenge: Defense Against the Dark Arts
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Mini Shelf
Brief Description: For DADA, I made a small shelf using leftover pieces from a wooden model kit. The center shelves were made using trimmed wooden craft sticks & the back is a piece of scrapbook paper.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Divination
SPEW: Metro Detroit Share
Project Name: C2C Baby Blankets
Brief Description: For Divination, I made a pair of baby blankets using a crochet technique (corner-to-corner) that is so familiar that I didn’t use a pattern.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 1/7
Project Name: Baby Blankets
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made a pair of baby blankets.
Project Picture:

(patterns: ripple blanket, expansion blanket (Ravelry link))

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 2/7
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made a pair of corner-to-corner baby blankets.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 3/7
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made a pair of corner-to-corner baby blankets.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 4/7
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 5/7
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 6/7
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress December Challenge, 7/7
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: House Unity
Project Name: Red C2C Baby Blanket
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made a Gryffindor red corner-to-corner baby blanket.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

You’ve been busy! I love the texture on the C2C blankets - so often, I see these in multi-color/pixelated designs and the wonderful texture gets lost. I like the solids.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Periodic Table Purse
Brief Description: I had bought this fabric to make this specific purse years ago and am so happy to finally have it done! The pattern is the Dandelion Double Zip Handbag by Blue Calla patterns.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Wow, this is SO COOL!

1 Like

That bag is so cool! And so much amazing knitting lately!!

2 Likes

This is awesome!!! You should be sure to give it a full project post too, so the rest of the site can ooh and ahh over it.

1 Like

Be still, my nerdy heart! What a cool bag!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Starry and Bookish Bookmarks
Brief Description: These painted skyscapes don’t start with a plan and I never know where they’ll end up when I pick up a brush and pour out my colors. No two are ever the same - the clouds of color and splatters of stars tell me where they want to be. I added quotes that spoke to me.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Amigurumi crocodile
Brief Description: I read the pattern and transformed it into a little crocodile. A small xmas gift for my brother.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creature
Project Name & Page Link: Tiny frog
Brief Description: Made a small green frog for my brother.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Paracord bracelet for mum
Brief Description: When using paracord string its important to burn the ends on the string, so they dont fray. And thats what I did with this bracelet.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Joint seam pincushion
Brief Description: I learded the old seam “joint seam” (not sure its the actual name in english), where one can use smaller bits that might have been thrown away. Here we used wool fabric, and got the pieces pre-cut. It was fun to learn something new, and I got a nice pin cushion as a result.
Project Picture:

7 Likes