Heart patchwork block, pattern and tutorial

Tbh, without the photos it is just word salad!

3 Likes

That is much better!

1 Like

Nicely done! I will test it out as I love hearts in quilting!

I swear I had the same pink floral sheets you used…

2 Likes

I love me some pink!

1 Like

I love the look, but boy it seems like a lot of work! Ha! It turned out very pretty.

Can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to creating this block! Your instructions and pictures seem like they’ll be pretty easy to understand once I have the fabrics in front of me.

2 Likes

Thank you for putting this together! I’m so excited to work this as our February BOM in the quiltalong!

I adore paper piecing and your photos make it really easy for someone to process! Great job, Edel!!

I’m playing around with this, and I think there might be a typo somewhere. At step 4, you say to sew a 3.5"x6.5" strip to the top and bottom of the heart, but there are no 3.5x6.5" strips listed in your cutting list. Though there are 3.5"x4.5" pieces listed. Unless I’m missing where the 4.5" sized pieces go…

You are right, good catch honey. It should be 6.5 not 4.5

2 Likes

Glad someone is testing this…I rarely cut out my fabrics in advance when making one block so I probably would have just cut a piece to fit the bottom and top! Yes, good catch! I really like this block and the ones people are suggesting! It will be a fun quilt!

1 Like

I think there’s one other problem with the block tutorial & cutting sizes. In Step 1 you have us make half square triangle blocks with 3.5" squares. When you make the HST’s from that, you end up with 2 blocks that are 3 1/8", and when you sew them together to form the bottom of the heart, that row measure 5 3/4" wide.

Then get in Step 2, you make the tops of the heart, which are also 3.5" squares. So when they are sewn together, the top of heart strip is 6 1/2" wide; 3/4" wider than the upper row.

I think to fix this, you need to make the HST’s from larger (probably 4") blocks, then trim them down to be 3.5" finished, so they will fit with the bottom, and the rest of the block overall. At least that’s what I did when I recut & remade that portion of my block.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I’ve adjusted the pattern. It’s really helpful to have someone like you to test it!

3 Likes

Thank you for going through and finding areas that needed corrections! I’m really excited to work on this block next month!

4 Likes

Thanks for the tute, I’m going to try it just as soon as I excavate the desk! lol

1 Like

OK! I wanted to make a heart with 2 patterns, one of which I didn’t think I could align well with that side-to-side seam so I thought up a little cheat!

2 little corner pieces:

I am using the wrong side of the fabric on purpose:

Stitch & trim:

Press using the no-wiggle method as described by the just get it done quilts lady

Place right sides together and align the stitch line, sew down the middle:

Open, press, trim and voila! Only one division line!

Follow the rest of the steps as usual:

3 Likes

I am going to have to try this!

@Magpie that’s excellent!

Maybe you might recognize that fabric… :wink: