Hobbes the Tiger

Growing up as an 80’s kid, Calvin and Hobbes was my favorite comic. So, when an old friend asked me to make Hobbes for his son, I couldn’t resist. He’ll be dressing up as Calvin for Halloween.

The original pattern and tutorial is here.

I enlarged the pattern by 30% (because Hobbes is about the same size as Calvin when drawn as a toy) and assembled it in mostly the same way as instructed. The tail is longer than the original pattern. I did angle the limbs to be more forward-facing to better imitate the way Hobbes was drawn. The eyes are also fleece, and not buttons, because the recipient is 1.5 years old. So much hand sewing! The eyes, nose, muzzle, belly, and all 30 stripes are all stitched on by hand. The end result is a 22" tall floppy tiger, ready to pounce and cuddle.

Some in-process photos (I have another Hobbes in the works):

34 Likes

My goodness! He’s just the best! I bet he and his Calvin are going to be ADORABLE together.

My latest project was C&H inspired, too, but way less directly.

3 Likes

This is pure awesomeness

2 Likes

Perfection.

2 Likes

You captured Hobbes perfectly!

2 Likes

Soooooo cute!! C&H was always my favorite comic too. This is so special! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! I loved seeing him come to life.

2 Likes

Fantastic! All that hand sewing…such a labor of love :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How amazing! I love this so hard :smiley: … and I’m not even that familiar with the comic! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I need a pic of the costume with them together. Adorable!

1 Like

This rocks! I love Hobbes.

1 Like

Wow, wow, wow! I love C&H too! Great job! Your Hobbes is awesome! :orange_heart:

1 Like

Oh, he’s so Hobbs. So grabable. What a treat for a child.

1 Like

He’s a perfect Hobbes!! I just wanna grab him!! And then ride a wagon down a hill…

2 Likes

Adorable!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! This is the sweetest thing ever.

1 Like

Amazing thanks for posting how you made him.
`

1 Like

Oh my! This is so fantastic! It really is Hobbes come to life! Major props for all that hand-sewing. I love Calvin and Hobbes. My youngest son is very Calvinesque. Maybe serves me right: I still remember the look on my librarian’s face when I requested “Attack of the Killer Mutant Snow Goons” after it had just come out. :laughing:

@PrincessP You should try to find it! C&H is one of the top comics ever!!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Hobbes the Tiger is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!