Hobbii yarn - does anyone have opinions?

In my search for a good yarn for a tunic for my sister (which btw is on backorder due to dye lots and won’t be a Christmas present - ugh) I looked at Hobbii.

Now everywhere I go I am getting their ads. And some of their deals look good! But is their yarn any good?

1 Like

I love them. I used the starlight wool here and the starlight soft is waiting in my cabinet for me to get my act together. The cotton king was good to work with, too, and used a huge cake of cotton here for a shawl for amfkinney.

3 Likes

I love them as well! Their cakes are very reasonable and if you are on their email list, you can get some great last minute bargains!

I also purchase a lot of yarn from Wool Warehouse in the UK. They have reasonable shipping even to the US!

1 Like

Their yarns are great. I’ve ordered numerous times and have never been disappointed. The shipping to me in Canada is reasonable and fairly quick.

3 Likes

thank you for asking this question - I was wondering myself…

2 Likes

I’ve bought their yarn (thanks to such ads) but have yet to use it. It does seem a step above some of the yarns at the big box stores.

I have read some complaints about cakes / gradient yarns. The yarn isn’t plied / twisted, which can make working with it difficult. Supposedly the cakes come with a bead that you thread onto the working yarn, and that helps keeps the individual yarn strands together.

3 Likes

Mine didn’t come with a bead, but I did use one I had around for just this reason when I worked up the shawl with the cotton.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of your responses!

I guess now I have to have even stronger will power… just because it’s a sale, it doesn’t mean you have to buy something, Melanie!

I do get a bit sick of the yarn in our one major craft store here, so the fact that the yarn is good and is not too pricey will give me some different options.

2 Likes

@kemika_popoki and @AntBee y’all just blew my mind. I never thought about using a bead to keep strands of yarn together. I just fight with it and cuss a lot :rofl:

7 Likes

To be fair, there was still a bit of fighting and swearing as the yarn bounced about and sometimes tangled with the bead, but it definitely was better than when I didn’t use one.

2 Likes

A bead? What is this magic?

3 Likes

I actually love almost roving types of yarn…I have a few favorites in my stash at all times.

When I was making loomed hats, one of the tips was to cut a piece of a straw and thread your yarn through it. The straw keeps the strands together and also helps with twisting. You can adjust the length of the straw as well.

2 Likes

uh what? I have never seen this type of yarn. That is MADNESS.

2 Likes

That does not bring me joy :frowning: I have an aversion to splitty yarns and that looks like trouble waiting to happen…

1 Like

I like their cotton yarns. The Rainbow lines are great - I used the 8/6 for the pillow square I made for @TheMistressT, and I’m making a shirt in the 8/4. Their cakes are so pretty. The Cotton Kings Sultan is not plied, but the Sultan Deluxe is loosely plied… probably nicer for knitting than crochet (it splits a bit with crochet).

4 Likes

I’ve made four shawls using that type of yarn. It is very lightweight and airy, which is perfect for the warmer weather we have here in the South. It is like working with very thin multiples of single yarn and is easier to knit than crochet, but a bit of adjusting your hook makes it go quickly. Not my first choice, but the price and colors are what attracted me to this yarn.

I am thinking of using it to make one of those pocket reading shawls.

4 Likes

oh the idea of the non-plied yarn makes me nervous that I’ll end up pulling out rows cause I missed a strand… but they are pretty :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

I’m that way with any fuzzy yarn, especially mohairs…they are a terror to frog…I made a scarf out of some and started to frog it…ended up throwing out $40 of yarn it was just so horrible…I am that way with boucle yarn as well…anything that can’t be frogged…ugh.

2 Likes

I keep thinking about this. Which yarns are you thinking? I wouldnt have thought to make one of those from these cakes I have hoarded, I mean stashed.
The intrigue is high here…

1 Like