Home decor and renovation craftalong

Yessss! Sorry, I was having trouble editing my post to add names after I did the first batch. Then Jim and I got distracted finally watching the finale of Picard.

4 Likes

We had more annoyance today. Communication really is a challenge with our contractor. We were told the plasterers were done upstairs so we could go and lay the floor there. But the plasterers didn’t know that and had just built scaffolding all over the staircase. So we need to come back tomorrow morning for that. Plus we found out that the hole in the floor that was supposed to be fixed this weekend wasn’t fixed. We can’t put in a floor in that room until that’s solved.

Also, the tiler was suddenly here for the downstairs toilet and was instructed by our contractor to tile it exactly the same as the upstairs bathroom. That wasn’t our plan at all. By the time we arrived, around 9am, he’d already cut all the tiles so there was no way back. It’s not the tiler’s fault (he’s very skilled, it looks good, that’s the most important thing) but it’s annoying. I’ve talked to the tiler and he’ll wait for our instructions when the next batch of tiles arrive.

He also told us he posted a picture of his work in our upstairs bathroom online and half of the people loved it and others absolutely hated it :laughing:

7 Likes

Ooh, can we see his pics?

1 Like

I didn’t ask where he posted them but this is it:

Not sure if I posted this back in February or not.

8 Likes

I love it.

1 Like

Same. Love it camp here!

1 Like

It’s very retro. I like the bold color and patterns.

1 Like

Well, we did it. We managed to get almost all the furniture that we wanted for the basement. Spent half of Saturday shopping, and ultimately went back to the first store and added stuff to our first order.

The sofa and a huge storage cabinet (that I managed to convince DH would be perfect for our games/puzzles plus any incidentals) will be here next weekend. The rest is still a few weeks off.

I do still have to call and order our barstools, but they will take 2 months to be delivered, so we ordered some cheap ones from Amazon that should be here today (it will mean having extras for parties or if we decide to get a bar-height table later on). I also need a couple area rugs and an entertainment center. But, that can be ordered online.

Here is a gratuitous picture of my pup, catching his breath after running around the basement:

7 Likes

Personally, I like it. But I can see where it might not be someone else’s cup of tea. It doesn’t fit the current trends, but I think that’s what I like. :laughing:

1 Like

The tile job must have cost a mint! I am in the love camp…I always love a mix of patterns and bold color choices. It looks very mid-century modern to me and it is neutral enough so you can bring in other colors as your mood changes…yummy backdrop for decorating!

2 Likes

@MistressJennie What a cheery little spot for a little one to grow in! And surrounded by all those love things make with love and care!

@Immaculata I don’t know if I would be rolling with all these mistakes nearly as well as you seem to. In fact, I am 92% sure I would not! I mean, if it didn’t matter to you how things were done, you wouldn’t have made decisions in the first place.

@tendstowardschaos I am so excited for you and your family with this super fun space! I can’t wait to see all the furnishings in place. I’m a little sad that the pup’s racetrack will probably be impeded, though. :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you! We’re hoping it will transition well to childhood for her as her personality develops and her interests change. When she’s a tool-cool-for-school teen and is no longer interested in the handmade treasures made by LC friends, I’ll hold onto them (tightly) until she’s old enough to appreciate them again.

2 Likes

What was the plan??

Frustrating when your contractor gets things wrong especially if you feel you can’t ask/demand that they make things right.

1 Like

Our house is from the 40s and we didn’t want to decorate it in a super modern style (that looks much better in a new modern house anyway) but we also didn’t want to turn it into a “time capsule” house where everything is from the same time period. So we decided on a retro, mid century modern-ish vibe but not too strongly linked to a particular decade. Our bedroom will be brown-orange but the kitchen will have more 1940s colours.

I’m sure it’s not for everyone! It’s probably either love or hate. If you have strong negative feelings about it, I suggest not visiting us because our visitor toilet also looks like this now :laughing:

@TheMistressT I will have to have a serious conversation about this with the contractor later on, and Mr. Imma had to step out for a minute to cool down while I talked to the tiler. He’s a really nice guy who just did what he was told. When we discovered it, it was too late, the tiles were cut. But we’ll have to discuss how we’ll compensate this. I’ve so far only paid half of the invoice for the bathrooms and I’m withholding the other half. I am completely tired of our contractor and will not recommend him to others. The work is all done very well but he either doesn’t remember what we want or takes it as a suggestion. I will definitely recommend the tile guy, he’s great.

5 Likes

We wanted the tiles horizontally instead of vertically and up to a certain height (window height). Because vertical tiling is much less efficient, the tiles now don’t reach that height and personally, I think vertical tiles look a bit odd when it doesn’t cover the whole wall but only half of it.

I’m sure it could be made right, but those tiles take about a month to order. And all that time we’d not be able to finish the bathroom, it has to be tiled first, then plastered, then finished. So it would be a huge hassle. The tile guy was annoyed as well, he’d spent an hour doing math figuring out how high he could tile before he ran out, while regular horizontal tiling is much easier and doesn’t require any cutting of tiles.

3 Likes

I think the vertical tiles actually give small spaces height.

I have seen so many bathrooms with the white subway tiles that go horizontal…it is really common in modern homes and works in them quite well, but to me, it looks exactly like the public bathrooms in the subways… :grin:.

3 Likes

I hope you come to like it over time!

Mistakes that my contractor made forever bothered me. I was eventually able to get rid of one of them. :wink:

2 Likes

We ordered our new barstools today, and it’s probably going to be almost July before they arrive. But, our very economical stools came today, and they are, frankly, a lot nicer than I expected. They’re cushy and sturdy, and they coordinate well. Not too difficult to assemble, either.

10 Likes

Maybe it will end up being a happy accident! I’m usually not too bothered about most details.

We bought some scraps of sheet vinyl as a temporary floor and I put them in today. It’s a hassle, getting those wide rolls up the narrow staircase and no space to roll them out properly. But for a first attempt, it’s not bad and it looks better than I thought it would! Will take pics tomorrow.

5 Likes

It’s already starting to grow on me!

My favourite part, like a real crafter the tile person didn’t want to waste the scraps:

The tile guy is the first tradesperson who has worked here who really thinks like an artist rather than a builder. He’s also a really nice person, I am going to recommend him to everyone.

12 Likes