Hoopla Ornaments!

I finished a big project a bit ago and then dove head first into the Ongoing Ornament Swap!

@curiousfae was the lucky recipient of the first one. The “theme” I picked was Christmas Carols.
Here she is! :arrow_down:

Size : Approx 4x4 inches (It’s a 4 inch hoop)
Fabric : 28 ct Evenweave - White
Pattern : Emma Congdon - From CrossStitcher November 2020 Magazine
Time : 2-3 days?
Fun Factor :

• I love Emma Congdon designs because she’s big into typography and it makes such a neat looking cross stitch in the end. I love how this was a “pre-done” type pattern: designed for a 4 inch hoop, pop it in a 4 inch hoop - voila!
  • I got the idea to wrap the hoop in ribbon from the same article in the magazine. They used fabric but I had the perfect red grosgrain ribbon for the project. Glued a wee little bow on and done!

Finishing the back: I went easy - Used my 4 inch die cut circle and cut coordinating felt and used my new best friend, hot glue. (I usually avoid hot glue but I’m coming to terms how quickly you can get things done with its help - as in, gluing instead of handsewing the dang things on.)

Here’s the back:

Annnnnd one more shot from a slight side angle because I love the look of stitching from this angle. I like to see the 3D-ness of it!

x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x

My second ornament was made for @AIMR with the theme of reading/library. I picked her and this theme in particular because I have the perfect set of little book-related patterns that I’m in love with. It’s a whole series of book/reading motifs. I combined two of them (the chair and the table) to make it into an ornament! Here it is! :arrow_down:

Size : Approx 4x4 inches (It’s a 4 inch hoop)
Fabric : 28 ct Evenweave - White
Pattern : I can’t remember - it came from either an old issue of Cross Stitch Crazy or CrossStitcher magazine. (If anyone really wants to know I’ll do some digging!)
Time : 4-5 days?
Fun Factor :
This one was a challenge. It was harder to make a cohesive ornament out of separate patterns. And to space it correctly. I dragged this project on forever because it was hard dangit.
Changes:
I felt pretty proud because I did ALOT of changes on it.

• The colors were all changed to what I had on hand.
  • I freehanded the little teacup! It wasn’t part of the original pattern.
  • I designed the little Christmas tree!!! In the original pattern there was a lamp next to the stack of books. I got crazy and made my own wee little Christmas tree.
  • It looked quite empty with just the two designs and needed something to fill the space. I FREEHANDED the writing! I’m so darn proud of myself for that. (If you’re into embroidery let me tell you…freehanding something nicely is much easier on evenweave for sure.)
  • Not really a change but I made the felt bow! I didn’t have a suitable ribbon color but I do have every color of felt under the sun so I fiddled around with my scissors and hot glue until I had an acceptable bow.

Here’s a couple close ups!

Thanks for looking!
(And I hope ya’ll like cross stitch ornaments because I have at least two more to post soon! :joy:)

27 Likes

I can attest to the amount of tiny details in the hoop I received! I am even more impressed that you added the tree and the teacup! I love this little hoop…thanks again for picking my book theme!

1 Like

Those are so pretty! Love the ribbon-wrapped hoops. Thanks for telling a little more of the backstory.

2 Likes

I love that you wrapped the hoops in ribbon; it really jazzes it up! I agree, the backstory was fun to hear! And you should be proud of yourself! These are both fantastic!

1 Like

Ooh, lovely—I particularly like the book one.

1 Like

Oh, it’s definitely reading season. Love your custom changes! Amazing free hand! :star_struck:

1 Like

Those are gorgeous…I love Emma Congdon’s typographical designs, and you finished it beautifully.

1 Like

Beautiful work!

1 Like

These are absolutely amazing!!!

1 Like

Excellent work. I love all the colours you chose, too.

1 Like

These are lovely! Beautiful color choices, love the ribbon wrapping and the felt bow! Looking forward to the next ones!

1 Like

These are both gorgeous. I love the felt bow and totally need to steal that idea!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! Both are so sweet!

They’re both wonderful! Congratulations on such a successful combining and freehanding!

those are cute as heck!

I love this ornament so much! It’s so well done and the colors are perfect. The ribbon was the perfect touch too. The craftsmanship and the attention to the little details really make a piece like this a keepsake. Thanks again @Whistlefish.

These are just wonderful! I go back and forth over which one I like the best, but after reading about the book one, I think the scales are tipped in its favor! Fabulous details! But then… awesome typography!! Swoon!

1 Like

:tada: Congrats!!! :tada:
@Whistlefish, your hoopla ornaments have been chosen as a featured project for the week :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Man, I am going to have to join that swap next year. So many epic ornaments came out of it. These are so fun. I love the themes and how you created them. Especially the gold thread for the “READ”.

2 Likes

So pretty!

1 Like