Hoopless Hoopla Swap Gallery

Here is our gallery! We have a couple of senders so I can’t wait to see some goodies.

5 Likes

Already! Yay!

1 Like

Awesome! Hopefully mine doesn’t take too long to reach you @raury!

I have received from Roler and it. Is. Awesome. She made such a “me” hoopless hoopla!

I give you … Orca!

(Reading glasses for scale)

Perfect! @roler and I live in the Pacific Northwest, with so much incredible indigenous art all around. The depictions of Orcas, Crows, and Bears are my favorites. Orcas have a very special place in my heart, I have spent years following specific pods while helping friends at the UW with their research projects. And oh, the many days I have spent on shore, watching them cruise past or swim in and rub on the pebbles!

This Orca is a gorgeous dark red/maroon, white, and black felt appliqué on a gray shell fabric. It’s just so gorgeous in person, but my house skews things very blue in photos, so I messed about a bit with editing. I tried a few places in the house and as you will see, I had a Snoopervisor. Can’t do anything in my house without Feline Management. This is my cat Orca! So named as he is 20 pounds, ginormous, and he spy-hops like an Orca to see what is on the table that he might want to eat, before he might commit to the effort of jumping up.

@roler i just love it so so so much. Thank you!

12 Likes

@roler THIS.IS.AWESOME.! You really nailed the Haida art style. And the effort put into the felt layers really paid off. Orcas were the perfect topic.

Great job, roler role!

P.S. @Camelama the kitteh inclusion wins the day! I love hims yiddol face! Thank you for the multiple pix!

2 Likes

His wonky right eye gives every picture of his face an adorable kind of twist. (No vision in that eye, and it doesn’t contract)

3 Likes

Yaaaay I’m so glad you liked it! As soon as I thought of the idea I knew it would be the perfect thing for you! I gotta admit, it was really difficult to part with, coz both I and my mom love it a lot too! I might have to make some more in this style if I ever have time!

3 Likes

That is so wonderful! I grew up in Anchorage with similar art vibes, so I had some feels! Love it!

2 Likes

What an incredible start to the gallery! @roler you really out did yourself. I knew you made beautiful felt hooplas, but this is amazing.

2 Likes

That orca hoop is amazing, and yay for the photo op with your kitty!

3 Likes

Wow, that hoop is fabulous.

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning, @roler! :hibiscus: The indigenous art style has been replicated so thoughtfully and beautifully. The sense of movement is also just lovely! Great way to start the gallery! :star:

2 Likes

I received from our lovely and talented organizer @Raury today! I had listed “cats” as a theme (because of course cats), and she delivered in the most elegant way possible.

I love the simplicity of the near-monochromatic scheme of it… those tiny pops of red positively take it over the edge.

Zimmy approves, too:

Thank you so much for the purr-fect piece, Paula - I can’t wait to get it hooped and hung! :heart_eyes_cat:

11 Likes

Oh this is beautiful!

1 Like

OH, that is so beautiful!

1 Like

Please tell me that this gallery will continue to have both great hooplas AND adorable models!!

4 Likes

So classic in technique and topic. Really elegant - great job, @Raury!

1 Like

Very pretty

1 Like

What a lovely kitty! Both of them. :grin: The delicacy of the blackwork is delightful. Reminds me of old-fashioned wrought iron, which is always classy. Your cat definitely approves. :wink:

2 Likes

Glad your kitty approves and that it arrived quickly.

I have received from @Lynx , I love it. I wanted a letter M for our last name as we are building a new house and I have the perfect spot for it in the entryway. Laura also sent a card with a beautiful cardinal on it, I think it is one of her pictures, thank you. Now to pics.

10 Likes