How to design a quilt block?

Ack! Me too! Why do we hate them so much? They are just triangles. Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very Bad triangles :angry:

5 Likes

And puruse the Quiltalong, now in its third year:
2023: Quiltalong - 2023
2022: Quiltalong - 2022
2021: Quilt-along 2021

In the intros are links to tips and also shared tip links throughout the threads. And, lots of fun BOMs (block of the month).

3 Likes

I can’t figure out why I don’t like them either…I really have had no trouble making 4-8 at a time, but after that…just not a fan…

1 Like

I recently took this one out of the library. I liked how it showed the classic block or design, as traditionally made, then showed a more modern, original take, on that block.

https://www.amazon.com/Quilting-New-Classics-Inspired-Traditional/dp/1936096803

3 Likes

There are quilting shows on PBS, Create TV ( for me Alabama Public Television on Saturday afternoons) with a host and sometimes a guest that take the viewer through traditional designs, fabric selection and step by step instruction. In depth detail that puts my husband right to sleep.

1 Like

Some tips I figured out, in case someone else wants to try:

Make grids; draw out squares in different sizes, like one sheet divided into 2" squares, another into 3" squares.

Roughly sketch your design onto tracing paper, then place over a grid. Simple shapes can fit on larger squares, more detail probably needs smaller squares.

Align and adjust your sketch to match the grid. Simplify the shape into 90° and 45° angles.
Figure out the pieces and label by fabric and number.

Make a cutting list, adding seam allowances.
Cut and label. I pinned tiny tags to each piece with fabric and number designations, like C5, meaning piece #5 in cat fabric.

My first block, designed to fit this months craft this in your style prompt

The tail is wonky, and I discovered a simpler way to do the ears, but its a start!

5 Likes

It’s fun to have a process/project that sparks the mojo back up. I’m glad to see you’ve got the bug to do some creating again after the low-mojo season. Keep on keepin’ on!

1 Like