I made a Smeddley snail!

I have trouble reading patterns so I don’t usually even bother, I just look over shapes and try to muddle though. There is such great curvature happening with @Smeddley 's snail pattern though that I had to at least try it out and see if I could follow along. I did get a little lost and ended up having to do my own thing at a certain point but I managed the important bits, the curves in head and body.

For the shell I used a variation of Twinkie Chan’s pizza pattern, adding an extra stitch at the ends of every other row to make the sides curve, then doing slip stitch, single crochet, half-double crochet, double crochet and then reverse along the top edge for a couple rows. That made a triangle that when joined along the sides, naturally curved in a bit to form the shell and left that nice edge that joins to the body.

It was a bit bigger than I anticipated so won’t work for the Snail Streak garden themed board game/mini art quilt I’m working on. I figured out a smaller pattern for that but I’m really glad I made this one. I am feeling the urge to surprise some house-bound neighbours with a little fun porch crochet abandonment project. Gotta figure out the perfect recipient for this little buddy.

18 Likes

It looks nice! I actually really like that shell… :grin:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness. He’s soooooo cute! The ripples around the base are so lifelike and the antennae are adorable.

2 Likes

He is super cute!

2 Likes

I :heart: him

1 Like

Adorable!!!

1 Like

It looks so cute.

1 Like

So precious!! And the tone-on-tone is brilliant!

1 Like