I want to make a Monopoly quilt

You can also cut fabric that you’ve attached Heat & Bond to the back of, so you could make cloth, rather than vinyl words. You’d just need to applique over them. And if you don’t have a Cricuit or Silhouette, you might be able to do a personal crafty trade with someone else on LC who does have one.

2 Likes

Ooh thanks!

I appreciate all these ideas as I have only ever done really simple quilts before.

2 Likes

I just thought of something else… Unless you have your heart absolutely set on piecing a giant game board quilt, have you looked into printed fabric panels of a Monopoly board?

I checked eBay, and they had a few options…

While the board panels are smaller than a whole quilt, they could form the center of the quilt, and you could use the prints of the money and cards to make some simple blocks to surround the center panel.

And while the image is certainly copyrighted, you might be able to find a large scale scan of the board online (or make a scan of a board yourself) and upload that to something like Spoonflower, to print a single larger panel for yourself. Just obviously not open a shop there and offer to sell it. You can also get printable fabric sheets, for use on a home printer. If you again used good jpgs, you could print the board in pieces, onto the 8.5"x11" sheets, then stitch those together.

Etsy also has some licensed Monopoly fabric prints that look affordable. And Spoonflower has some fabric that could make a fun backing too though it’s more expensive.

3 Likes

I’m sure there’s someone who has a cricut that could help. (pst. Maybe even me)
also can be cut on bonded fabric, I always forget about that cause I usually don’t mind using vinyl cause I just make tshirts with snarky sayings

3 Likes

@MistressJennie - thanks for those links. I have looked at the printed fabrics before, but I think I am decided on piecing the quilt. Although the money and other prints might be handy to fill in the middle space.

@sloth003 - I heard that whisper, thanks! :wink: I’ll PM you

2 Likes

I have not. but you could probably just fold over binding instead, without the inner stuffing, so it would be less bulky?

I’m sorry to hear of your father. I’m sending you support across the miles.

JClove

2 Likes

Thankyou

2 Likes

I just came across this quilt panel on Etsy. It made me chuckle and also think of your quilt. Have you had a chance to get started on it?

2 Likes

I have started cutting into all the collected fat quarters for the coloured property blocks, but still haven’t made a decision about the black border (I’m such a procrastinator). I also still have one colour to find.

2 Likes

I understand this all too well! I’m glad to hear that you’ve started with the cutting though, because I am definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

2 Likes

Check out this video at about 5 minutes in. (It’s about how to make a stained glass quilt. ) She uses black fusible bias tape and then suggests sewing it in place with a twin needle. What a brilliant idea.

5 Likes

Thanks I’ll check this out!

Well if that hasn’t just made it look as easy as pie!

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions for this quilt. I think I had almost decided to go with narrow bias binding (because I knew what it was haha) but was putting it off because it felt like it was going to be fiddly.

But now that I have seen how easy the bias tape is (I didn’t manage to find any good videos, but my search words must have been no good or I just didn’t know what I was looking for), I am very tempted to go with it. I think I might even be able to do twin needle on my gran’s Necchi.

If I go this way, I will be able to make the propery blocks and join them all, before even worrying about the borders! Now to work out how much it will cost for the tape… I need quite a significant number of yards.

This place is so good for piquing inspiration when procrastination or a funk has set in!

4 Likes

Ask in the Use it or lose it thread!

1 Like

@ceep, thank you for sharing this! This tape looks to be just what I need for a project I’m working on!

@mellybelly81, I’m not sure on Australian prices, but it looks like Amazon is the cheapest place to get it here in the US. It’s about $12 for 11 yards (10 meters)

1 Like

How about this video?

1 Like

Thanks, that’s also really helpful!

Hey, any progress on this awesome idea?

1 Like

Its still on the cards, but other projects have come first…

1 Like

I bought that fusible bias tape from the video above and was pretty disappointed with it. It would not fuse to my project for anything. I tried gluing it down, but even that proved difficult. I stitched it down, but I can’t remember if I finally just pinned it down first or fed it through the machine as I went.

1 Like