Ideas for a Tree Topper?

I love the idea of the pinecones and the pompoms with the glittery yarn. I was thinking about a bunch of pompoms but I didn’t know how to make it look special. That solves that.

1 Like

I actually did that and I was semi-interested in a top hat but I was still unsure.

2 Likes

OMG I LOVE the old video games tree. I’m gonna have to steal the idea for some of those ornaments. :smiley:

3 Likes

I like the deer idea. That was another thought of mine.

1 Like

I was going to inherit a box full of vintage ornaments from the 60s from my greataunt… But the men who carried all the boxes down from the attic were not careful and stacked a couple of heavy boxes on top of the ornaments :frowning_face: My greataunt was single her whole life and her house was basically a 1960s treasure trove. You wouldn’t believe what my relatives threw away before I could claim it! But the people who appreciate vintage are never going to let go of their ornaments I’m afraid. There’s a Christmas thrift store around the corner from my house and I hardly ever see vintage ornaments. Plenty of vintage textiel though. And lots of hand quilted pillowcases and table runners.

1 Like

Here’s the link to the post I made in January. Shows all of the ornaments I made.

2 Likes

I may just totally steal that idea, thanks!

1 Like

What I would try is…
Find a narrow tube and a stick or stiff wire that fits into the tube. A plastic straw and a coat hanger or few bamboo skewers fastened together would work.

Insert the tube into the base of the angel, between pages as close to center as possible. Wiggle it a bit to make room. Mark the tube where it sticks out the bottom. Remove tube, cut it a little shorter than the mark, and glue it inside the angel, so the base is still flat (in case you want to display it on a table next year).

Make sure your rod/stick is strong enough to support the angel, and mark where it comes out of the base. Paint it to match your tree.

Bend or cut the top of the tree to the topmost side branches.

Attach the rod securely to the trunk with zip ties or string, with the mark level or a tiny bit below the top of the tree. Slide the tube inside the angel over the rod.

Alternatively, you could glue the rod inside the angel, but it would get in the way if you wanted to put the angel on a table.

1 Like

Vintage craft supplies and decorations are often thrown away by the unenlightened. Look for estate sales and shops run by companies that do estate sales. There’s a shop like that near me that is a treasure trove of vintage goodies. It helps that there are lots of retirees here in Tucson.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say! We have a dog as our topper

Hats are also kinda cool as toppers, although I totally need King Kong with the airplane now!

3 Likes

Last year I just put a Santa hat on the top of the tree

2 Likes

That’s heartbreaking. I’d have been so upset at that.

I want king Kong on my tree too

2 Likes

I love the idea for the angel! Thank you! I have a thrift store down the street from me that actually gets a few vintage craft stuff here-and-there but I have only found one good head and not the soft thing they use.

In case you need another weird suggestion…

4 Likes

OMG I NEEED IIITTT!!! Yes!

2 Likes

I love Archie McPhee, the source of much weirdness.

4 Likes

I’m crocheting a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Just google it, it’s hilarious. My kids are going to flip out when they see that thing, they are BIG fans, haha.

2 Likes

Oh I know about the flying spaghetti monster!! That sounds great!

I should have said, google crocheted fsm tree topper, it is so fabulous!

2 Likes

Personally, I prefer nonreligious themes. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes