Illusion quilt is finally finished

My quilt is done. I really enjoyed making this one and since I used some of my favourite fabrics from stash, I’m keeping it. It’s a great pattern to showcase special fabrics.

All the fabrics have a Japanese/floral theme. I used simple grey cotton for the shadow and white for the sashing. The border is the same grey as the shadow. If I’d had enough black for the border I would have used that.

I looked at a lot of finished projects on line including this helpful tutorial https://youtu.be/qBSZxu3nHDI the one thing I wanted, to really make the fabric pop, was a narrow black border around each accent fabric. (Borders make most things better, ATC, Quilts, scrapbooking etc. And I really think the accent fabrics benefited.) However it did mean I had to figure out a pattern

I kept a log of how long it took to piece the top. Including futzing with the pattern and cutting, it was about 7.5 hours.

The batting is an old woollen blanket and the back is plain. Quilting was simply a border around each accent square(more borders!)

I love how it messes with your eyes. It was a little too long for my washing line to get a good picture.

You can see the overall effect a bit better here.

34 Likes

DANG! That is AMAZING!

2 Likes

Thanks honey. As I look at the photos I see some very wobbly quilting lines, but it’s character, right? :grin:

1 Like

WOW WOW WOW, the fabrics, the construction, everything is perfect!

2 Likes

I absolutely love it!
You did an amazing job.
The rectangles of fabric really seem to float above the white background.
I think the grey border is better than a black one would have been. It helps with the floating effect.
Should I ever have the patience to make a full sized quilt, that is: should I ever not have many other projects I am working on at the same time, I would try one of these.

3 Likes

This quilt is so cool!!!

2 Likes

This is FANTASTIC !!

It’s given me an idea … I should go through my fabric and pick out my favourites to make a quilt like this.

2 Likes

It was so lovely to make because I was using all the nicest prints that I have. @Homerof2 if you do decide to make it, let me know if you want the pattern I worked out.

Use the good fabric @magpie x

3 Likes

Each little panel is a mini work of art. And they are in the sun, with shadows behind. Wonderful!!

2 Likes

It’s super gorgeous, the fabrics, the outlines, the perfect grey shadow, the design. I love it.

2 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!

2 Likes

This is…SO. COOL!!

2 Likes

I am just stunned at it’s beauty! I just can’t stop staring! I am so glad you are KEEPING it!! Well done!

2 Likes

Thank you guys :blush:

1 Like

That quilt is friggin amazing, as is the fact that you finished it in under 8 hours!!!

1 Like

This is so cool! I would have never thought of doing something like this and it turned out amazing! I can’t believe you did this out of stash or in 7.5 hours. Both are super impressive! This quilt is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it!

Great pattern to showcase special fabrics! Your quilt came out beautifully. I hope you take time to snuggle under it with a hot cup of tea and a great book. :heart::tea::books:

So cool! :smiley:

That is so epic! I totally see the blocks floating right off the quilt!

Wowee, bordering the prints with black is exactly what this pattern needed to perfect the illusion – great work, Edel! (PS, should this post be tagged for Quilting rather than Applique…?)