Interchangeable Positive Affirmation Flag

I love making Positive Affirmation Flags (I have been told that “prayer flag” is no longer appropriate…). For a swap, my partner asked for something to hang on her wall.

Instead of just doing ONE of her suggested sayings, I decided to make something that she could change out and even make her own affirmations.

I started with some batik fabrics and made a pocket with a heart cutout. I finally got to use my hoarded rainbow thread to stitch around the opening and along the edges. You can just leave it so the back fabric shows through if you want. Of course, in my enthusiasm, I stitched the opening on the back where the hanger is supposed to go, so I had to improvise and stitch it on by hand at the sides. I have done this more than once, so I must be a slow learner from past experiences… :grin:. The bottom is torn strips of rainbow batik knotted on and matches the knotted hanger.

I had some painted watercolor pages from art lessons I have been taken. They were the perfect weight to hold their shape and use as inserts. I glued two together so they they could be flipped around with sayings on both sides.

I really liked this idea and hope to make some more for other swaps and friends.

F-bomb ahead

18 Likes

This is a great idea! And isn’t it time for another flag swap?

7 Likes

I love this so much! And I also like the name change very much. Inspiration flags, affirmation flags, intention flags… so many great names to choose from.

You sent me some of that speckled fabric at the bottom, a wee scrap I fell in love with. Beautiful colours, gorgeous composition, totally lovely inspirational quotes. Marvelous.

4 Likes

Just a wee scrap? How hoardish of me! :rofl:

I’ll see if I can rectify that…

1 Like

This much, I know exactly where I put it. It’s like monster skin, so totally coolburger!

2 Likes

You shame me… :joy:

2 Likes

Well, here are some scraps I saved. Your piece is a veritable ocean in comparison :smile:

5 Likes

Beautifully done and wonderful sentiment.
Also, that fabric is totally amazing. Where did you get it?

2 Likes

I got it at my local quilt shop…I wish I had bought more but I was just overwhelmed with all the batiks they had so I bought a yard of several kinds. I’ll have to check to see if they still have it…I am sure it is popular but it has been about two years since I bought it.

1 Like

I love the interchangeability of it!

2 Likes

Very cool! So adaptable!

1 Like

What a great idea, and it turned out just beautiful!

1 Like

I love this so much! The interchangeably is genius! One affirmation is never right for all situations/feelings/moods!

I was intrigued by the “prayer flag” discussion and am all for the change! I did read this interesting post that offers some differing viewpoints, but solidly sides against prayer flags in general. I’m a little offended about the poster’s stance, not because it isn’t potentially appropriation, but because she claims it isn’t art. Maybe I’m a “lazy fauxrtist” as one of the commenters says…

Either way…I’d love another round of the swap! @Smmarrt :wink:

4 Likes

I love my swap package so much, thank you, it’s gorgeous with the colours and the patterns.

1 Like

Weeellll. That article was an opinion, something we all have that’s unique to us. It’s never gonna be one-size-fits-all, ye know? I personally don’t use, request, or purchase any DOTD, Buddah, Ohm, Frida, Gypsy/Boho, etc blatant words or iconography because I have no history with those cultures & it feels disrespectful to me. The article references a glib sort of motif du jour attraction & I get that, I do. Lot of llamas around these days, ye know? Maybe you get a little tired of seeing them everywhere but really, no harm, no foul on the llamas & butterflies or whatever. But spiritual icons, it’s very easy to practice sensitivity & choose something else so I figure, why not? It doesn’t hurt me any. I try to be careful with ablist language too, like no more calling things “crazy” or any variant thereof. Crazy is the new retarded. It’s off my casual language list. I’m not telling other people to do those things, that’s up to them.

fauxrtist is awesome though, lol. My kids are all pro-level “fartrists”, that’s how it’s pronounced, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I am also trying to be more aware of my use of words. As our knowledge base grows and changes, so should our thinking and language. It is not “succumbing” to popular opinion when you are trying to be more inclusive and sensitive to others. Most of us are just trying to become better humans.

I had to quit following an artist I liked because she started using the word “kokeshi” to describe her art dolls. I collect kokeshi dolls and since she is neither Japanese nor are her dolls even close to be kokeshi, other than being wood, I objected and let her know. She ignored my email so I assume she is not a considerate person. I have no need for such people since there are plenty of other good artists I can follow and support.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, I totally agree with all of it! I am trying to be a more conscious consumer of all things. I used to wear an Ohm necklace when I was heavy into yoga and got complimented on it by an Indian man in a restaurant once and had my own “am I appropriating?” moment, even though he was very nice about it.

I more take issue with her stance on what constitutes “good” art. Like, you can’t tell me this awesome thing @AIMR made isn’t art, right? I guess you can! Lol…I am generally less serious about it and just like to enjoy the thing without putting labels on it. I love this little piece of art you created! :smile:

3 Likes

Art is whatever makes your heART sing.

3 Likes

Yes! :sparkling_heart: And this speaks to mine. :smile:

ETA: And yes, I think I’ll own being a “fartist!” :laughing:

1 Like

This is so clever! And a great way to make this type of piece very versitile!

1 Like