Is anyone growing veggies?

Don’t worry, I will remember. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve got carrots poking up andone of the onions have reached up too. The herb garden is planted and I’m getting a squash plant from one of the neighbours who planted too many :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in Texas, and I’ve planted a few “new” things for this year’s garden!
Right now, in my main garden, I have
Cucumber, cantaloupe, and Cucamelons,
Lavender, jalapeño, cherry tomatoes,
Catnip, purple coneflower, forget-me-not, Zinnia, marigold,
Lemon balm, white Carolina strawberries, and red strawberries.

In my mint garden I have spearmint, sweet mint, and peppermint.

Along the side of the house I have crimson sweet (red) watermelon, orange watermelon, and gold watermelon, carving pumpkins, mother-in-law’s tongue, avocado tree seedlings, gala apple tree seedlings.

On my porch I have walking iris and pothos ivies.

And in front of my bedroom wall/window (this is on purpose to help mitigate the summer heat by using really tall plants) I have two different types of sunflower plant; American Giant (up to 16 ft tall) and Mammoth Russian (7-12 ft tall)

Inside the house I have lemon tree seedlings that are only about 2” tall.

Now for pictures!
(Not pictured are the avocado seedlings after they were moved outside)
The first sunflower pictures were taken today, the distant shot one was taken April 23.
For size reference, I am 5’2” (157cm) and my sunflowers are already taller than me!
I feel like they grow about 2 inches (5cm) a day!!

8 Likes

I confess to a little envy over all the beautiful edibles. We promised ourselves we’d stop veggie gardening to focus on preserving, there’s only so much time in the schedule. We wanted a flowering bush for a corner of the backyard and find ourselves leaving the garden centre with a Toro blueberry, lol. Well, it is a bush that gets flowers after all :hibiscus:.

3 Likes

Caught you red handed!

Chipmunks are no longer cute to me. They also dug out some flowers I planted yesterday.

2 Likes

BOO! We have been chasing bunnies off our back deck. They have already gotten into my herb pots. We had to fortress our raised beds against them and still found a bunny nest inside of one a few years ago.

2 Likes

Gardening experts, I need your help! I’m growing peas and sugarsnaps and it always goes wrong. They’re bush varieties and according to the square foot gardening book I use, they don’t have to grow up the trellis at the back, they only need a little bit of support. My sad plants look like this:

I’ve tried the following methods:

• Individual bamboo sticks, result: plants don’t grow up sticks but need to be tied, sticks fall over (like this but less succesfully: https://images.app.goo.gl/yiyQtsp5ErdiH1x46 )
  • Bamboo sticks in a tent shape, same but fall over even quicker
  • Chicken wire cage (like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/SRd653miWYm7QEFbA ) but mine keeps falling over and the wind blows it away even though I try to weigh it down with bamboo sticks

My trellis at the back has improved so my snow peas look fine:

Last year I used netting but this works much better. Sadly I only managed to find one of these panels while I need 4. It’s hard to find gardening materials in the middle of city I’ve noticed. When I have my driver’s license I think I have to rent a car some time to visit a proper country garden centre.

My grandfather always used to grow tons of peas and beans and he always used a trellis. Maybe I should give up on the bush varieties and do it the old school way?

2 Likes

We have always grown peas on a trellis. Do you have access to a tomato cage? We’ve grown climbing beans on one of those before. I am wondering if you could coax those pease back towards the trellis at the back? Once they grab on they should go go go.

1 Like

I had never even heard of a tomato cage but that looks like a sturdy version of my flimsy chicken wire structure. If I can’t find it in the shop then maybe I can find it online. I have little baby tomato plants on the window sill that I wanted to plant right in front of the trellis but maybe they can share? By the time I have tomatoes on the plants, the peas will be dead. I am growing bush tomatoes as well as climbing tomatoes this year so I could use the tomato cage for the tomatoes as well. We have a chainlink fence and I’m using that for my climbing zucchini this year. Last year 6 seeds only gave me 2 zucchini plants, but this year I scored 4/4 so I’ll probably be drowning in zucchini soon. Last year all my cucumbers were eaten by snails, I hope those will do better than last year.

I get very very cranky when anything messes with cucumbers. Do you have access to stakes? We stake some of our vegetables, including tomatoes.

1 Like

Oh you are a genious! As you can see I’m an absolute amateur, I just googled stakes, saw the shape, and then went “ooooooh, that’s why my bamboo sticks are falling over!”. The local hardware store has like one isle of gardening supplies but smaller items like stakes and seeds can always be ordered online if the store doesn’t stock them . The big bulky items are an issue because they need to be delivered by a courier. We have tiny backyards so hardly anyone actually has plants in them, only BBQs and lounge sets.

I watched my grandfather work in the garden when I was a kid and I have his gardening encyclopedia and his extension course notes (from the 1930s!) and that’s all really cool but they’re not of much use since our climate and our diet have changed so much over the last couple of decades. I’m not sure if my grandfather ever ate a tomato in his life! He grew enough potatoes and green beans to feed his family for the entire year, strawberries for summer, kale for winter and they had apples, pears and plums. He had a semi-permanent structure for the green beans, something like this: https://www.garden.eco/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/bean-trellis.jpg that he moved each year. My strawberry plants are looking great so at least I learned something from him.

2 Likes

LOVE that green bean trellis! We use something called a cattle panel bent and fastened between raised beds. Here’s a photo from a few years back.

7 Likes

That looks almost like a rose tunnel like you seen in formal English gardens!

1 Like

But with food!

2 Likes

Since my soil is basically sand, and I don’t want to do a lot of work in the yard, I am growing veggies and herbs in large pots. I already picked jalapenos and my first tomato is about the size of a golf ball…my cucumbers have blossoms! If I am successful, I will add a few more plants next year.

Love seeing everyone’s gardens…

4 Likes

I love container gardening! Yours sound very successful.

2 Likes

We’re new to gardening. I am noticing some black on our lettuce and spinach. Is this a bacteria? Are the non-black leaves safe to eat? Should we pull and re-plant?

2 Likes

I’ve never seen something like that! Looks a bit like some sort of fungus. I hope one of the more experienced gardeners here knows what it is.

1 Like

How odd, I’ve never seen that.

Me neither. It looks kinda like tar, but a different consistency.