Is anyone growing veggies?

We have raspberry in a huge bucket from the neighbours when they thinned their bushes a couple years ago. They look like dead sticks every year until about now when the leaves start to appear all of a sudden. We’ve decided that we’re actually going to dedicate part of the back yard to berries, this year or next depending on finances during this changing time. We’re already doing some of the work ourselves to prep that part of yard for landscaping. Thank goodness we got the fence finished last year, it was literally falling into the alley.

3 Likes

about 3 years ago we moved out to the “country”, we I still go into the city to work, or i did any ways. we have 3 acres. 3/4 of an acre is a pond which is really great but it cuts out a lot of the land we can garden on which was a big selling point for us. we didn’t take into account just how over run the land was with blackberries. out here in Oregon they grow like weeds that bite and never go away. we have has small gardens but with all the time off this year we will be doing much more planting and clearing.

4 Likes

I dream of moving to the country! But for now our an innercity homestead is the best I can do.

I’ve made some progress, I hope to finish the last of the raised beds today and I’ve made a smaller one from scrap wood (from a drawer!) that will be placed right next to the kitchen door for fresh herbs. I already have an oregano plant there but it looked quite sad and lonely in it’s plastic pot. Then it’s time for the next phase!

1 Like

Used to live in Oregon, I know what you mean. We had a patch that would grow across the driveway in day…at least it seemed so. Our problem was slugs, voracious little beasts. Not the native slugs, but the european slugs. Little brownish red monsters. We solved the problem with ducks. They loved them! And the kids loved having ducks. We had to lock them up at night so the racoons and foxes would not snack on them. But wow, did they do the job. Two ducks for an acre were enough, though sometimes we had more. Watch your lettuce and peas. The garden had to be fenced so we could lock them out at times.

3 Likes

I have been spending a lot of time in the garden lately! Will try to take pics today.

1 Like

I harvested these for our dinner last night. Our weather finally allowed me to get everything I wanted to plant into the garden. I am not excited about going into any garden center right now so checked Amazon for live plants and was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get a lemon thyme and four jalapeño plants shipped to the house.

4 Likes

These look very tasty!

I had no idea it was possible to buy live plants online. Good to hear that’s a thing and they arrived alive.

Beets and carrots, tbey are so yummy. Mybeets are just poking their heads out and the carrots are not up yet. It has been cold. Thos weekend is warm and wonderful, so things are sprouting.

1 Like

One of my raised beds is strawberries only!

I was pretty late to start this year so I haven’t harvested anything yet, but I can’t wait to eat the first veg of the season.

7 Likes

Fun! I love strawberries! We have bare root blueberries being delivered this week.

2 Likes

I am loving seeing everyone’s plants. They all look wonderful! My garden is finally starting to fill out. It’s exciting watching it blossom. :smiley:

9 Likes

Here are some impressions from my garden:

Strawberries

Spinach, kohlrabi and lettuce just starting to sprout. Everything is so much greener now. Maybe I take some update pics tomorrow.

Blueberries in my recently built beds

My son’s potatoes

He started experimenting with peanuts and melons this year.
So I’m currently building a small greenhouse

7 Likes

Looks good @Silky_Bee and @artsycandice!

A little update from the garden:

The grapes have grown a lot

I was late getting seeds in and a lot of the seeds disappeared (I haven’t caught the perpetrator yet) but in about two weeks I expect to be able to eat the first lettuce, rucola and radishes. I’ve grown cucumber, zucchini and pumpkin plants indoors and they will go outside as soon as this cold period is over.

This is an old drawer! I love the tiny purple flowers in the chives.

Strawberries! These 4 are Honeoye, I’ve also planted Salsa and Elvira. My grandfather used to grow Elvira and his strawberries were delicious! We used to grow Lambada at home but I couldn’t find those.

Overview

How are your gardens doing?

5 Likes

Don’t you just love seeing everything coming up? Looking good!

2 Likes

I get so happy every time I spot a new tiny green plant! Yesterday it was raining most of the day, I went out at 4pm-ish and nothing had changed from Saturday, I checked again at 6.30pm and suddenly 8!!! peas had sprouted! It happens so quickly you almost see them grow.

2 Likes

I love seeing all of your veggie gardens!

We have a big garden, but no time (Marc) or health (me) to make it useful.
Just two big lawns, bordered by beech hedges and around one of the lawns some (totally overgrown) borders with a couple of plants strong enough to survive the neglect.
Way in the back, in our former chicken coop, we have a small apple tree, pear tree and walnut tree and some bamboo. Also neglected.
Even the ‘table garden’ I started a couple of years ago on the ugly tarmac between the garden en the house is almost empty, apart from some hydrangias.
Ah well, perhaps another year.

2 Likes

Who knows, maybe another year! I’ve wanted to have a real garden for years but I also lacked the energy to do it, and Mr. Imma didn’t have time, so it was an overgrown wasteland for years (it already looked like that when we bought it). After several years of saving we hired the heavy work out last year and I don’t regret that because it took 2 experienced men a full week. We would never have been able to pull that off.

This is my 14th week at home and I go outside for 5-10 minutes of gardening several times a day. If I had still worked outside of the house I certainly wouldn’t have been able to achieve this.

3 Likes

I’m up here in Washington, so I get it about the slugs and the blackberries! It’s amazing how they spring up out of nowhere. I’ve got ducks! They are so funny. I’ve got them penned up right now until my garden gets a little more established, otherwise they’ll uproot all the tiny plants.

What is the big plant in the top right corner of the first picture? And what kind of fruit tree do you have there?