Is anyone growing veggies?

Our very late planted garlic (not my project) grew to tiny, tiny bulbs before withering. I don’t know if I should dig up the rest or leave them to maybe grow bigger next year.

The shallots got creepy crawlies so I could only rescue some. There’s a small pile outdoors that I don’t know if to toss or peel away all the nasty bits.

Carrots and beans are doing ok! The two chili plants we bought already partly grown are doing awesome! We had to remove the roof from the small greenhouse.

Apples - the few tiny ones fell off earlyin the season, but the tree is starting to look sturdier this year.

Wild raspberries - few, but tasty. Tries to spread and I kind of want to let it.

Wild strawberries - doing awesome and trying to take over the world.

Strawberries - did ok, but I think the harvest is more or less over now.

Yes, we plant it in October and then usually harvest the next September. When we left for our holiday they were alread pretty big. But when we got back they were just gone?? Not sure how those big plants could just disappear without a trace. But I didn’t go and dig anything up so maybe the bulbs remain in the ground and they’ll start growing again in spring?

This is the first year our grapes are producing a LOT and they’re really tasty. Would recommend grapes - they’re ‘plant once and forget about them’, they don’t need to be watered, they like heat, just remember to pick the fruit once a year.

Our green zucchini is doing well, again, but for the second year in a row my yellow zucchini isn’t producing anything and once again, I’ve not managed to grow any kind of pumpkin. Maybe I should just stick to green zucchini!

Our pumpkin experiment failed. Or successfully fed the wildlife, whichever way you want to look at it. Next year.

4 Likes

I’m sorry your little guy got eaten :frowning: but at least Bambi didn’t go hungry, that’s worth something.

2 Likes

I had high hopes for that pumpkin. Our neighbours found this monster unexpectedly growing in their front yard

Planted by squirrels maybe.

5 Likes

We have been watching two monarch chrysalis.

See the difference from Wednesday to Friday.

5 Likes

Oh, this is magical! Thank you so much for sharing, made me teary, no kidding.
@AntBee please show lil’ miss E, you’ll understand why I ask in a couple days :butterfly:

2 Likes

How lucky are you! I have never seen a monarch chrysalis out in the wild despite an effort by my parents not to cut down milkweed. I threw milkweed seeds into my garden, but they didn’t grow this year. Yes, thank you for showing us pictures.

2 Likes

Just two hours later this happened. We have another chrysalis we are watching, it’s still geen.

8 Likes

That’s so cool!

1 Like

Probably the last veggie harvest:

The ”gardener” (deer) had started to munch on the carrot tops so we harvested most of it. There are some tiny ones left in the raised bed, but they will probably not have a chance to grow bigger. I have a couple more in a flower box, but that’s a small and cute variety (the round small one to the right). I mostly pop them in my mouth directly after harvest since they’re so small. They were a hit with visiting nephews :grin:

Same with the beans. There are a couple tiny ones left, but it’s getting colder so they might not develop.

Edit: no wait, I still need to see what kind of potato harvest we’re getting from the ones that sprouted in the fridge and grew where I buried them in the back of the yard. Not a lot, but more than 0 potatoes :potato:

6 Likes

They look so tasty!! I never manage to grow carrots for some reason, and I try nearly every year.

I removed my tomatoes today and picked more than a kilo (1150 gr) of green tomatoes that I’ll try to ripen indoors. This is the first time ever my tomato plants actually grew tomatoes and the harvest didn’t disappoint! They are also extremely tasty.

I’ve removed everything from the garden except for one courgette plant that’s still thriving. This week it will be time to sow kale, endive and spinach and it will soon be time for garlic, onions and flower bulbs too.

3 Likes

Yummy carrots, we’ve been eating carrots too. But I had a hard time starting them this year. Reseeded several times and finally got some growing. It was a weird New England summer. Cool for a long time and then hot and dry for August/ Sept. Odd mix of failures and successes.
But I planted garlic in time this year. October is the time. I replanted from last years planting (or this year’s because I harvested this year, but planted last fall). I got some new garlic from the Garlic Gods and had a nice harvest. Trying a different area, shadier and damper, plus a nice sunny spot. We’ll see which does best.
Plus the shadier spot is a favorite grazing ground of the groundhog and I’m hoping he doesn’t like garlic so he avoids that area. There’s some leftover chewed on kale that I’m hoping recovers a bit before final hard freezes ends it’s producing days.

1 Like

We dug out a bunch a potatos and are shelling snap peas this year. No cucumbers or tomatoes yet.

7 Likes

That is quite the bounty!

1 Like

Our beans and peas and tomatoes are just coming in. It was a cool Spring and night temps were low into June. It’s been hot and humid so things are growing!
But we leave for 10 days on Friday…we’ll miss the peas (which are so late due to critter munching the tops) but beans and tomatoes should be in prime production when we get back.

2 Likes

We just had an amazing surprise! Our yard has been dug up because of all the projects we’ve done around the house, and basically we just have sands and nettles now, and a fence overgrown with hedera. The whole fence area is a thick wall of hedera. I knew there was a grape somewhere near the fence but I hadn’t thought about it in a while.

Well, today, I spotted a grape, and it turns out that beneath the wall of hedera, there’s a large amount of grapes hiding! And they’re super tasty. They’re so well hidden even the birds didn’t find them. I’m getting the water bath canner and the steam juicer attachment out of storage tonight, so we can juice them tomorrow! Will be the first time we’re making grape juice.

4 Likes

Nice! We went for a walk in the alley today and found a whole handful of ripe raspberries from the canes we planted a couple years ago. They need tying up to the fence so the city workers don’t whipper snapper them when they clear the laneway this fall.

1 Like

We have some veggies ready for harvest, and I took some in tonight.

The borlotti beans are so pretty!

Some of the tomatoes are going bad while still on the plant, but there are enough of the good ones.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen those beans before. Neat! What do you make with them?