Is anyone growing veggies?

Last night they ended up in a noodle wok. You either remove the beans or cut the entire pod in pieces. However, that works better for smaller pods. It’s possible to let them dry on the vine and use the dry beans like storebought dry borlotti beans.

The pretty pink colour fades when it’s cooked.

2 Likes

Juicing time!

1 Like

Tomatoes and a homegrown chili:

I added part of a store bought onion, finely chopped. Most of the tomatoes were homegrown, but I diced up a few store bought cherry tomatoes that were left over too. Olive oil, black pepper and red wine vinegar.

2 Likes

Time to up this thread again, for @Whistlefish and others!

We renovated our house last year and the builders destroyed the yard. Then we had the wettest year in history so since April our garden has been a pool of mud. I just hope the rain finally stops soon so we can get started.

2 Likes

Huzzah! Winter is my favorite time for garden planning. I get crazy into it and then when the time comes for actually planting I fizzle out. :laughing:

The reason I was thinking about this thread is because I planted roughly 250 spring bulbs in the fall and…they’re starting to come up. It’s too early! :sob: I know for a fact that I planted them all deep enough. I know it’s been warm but there is for sure still going to be winter weather. I have extra mulch and may just have to tuck them in a bit deeper.

3 Likes

How are you bulbs doing?

It’s still quite wet here, but it’s finally drying up and this weekend I hope to be able to cut back the English ivy and get some grass seed in. We’re going on a trip so hopefully when we come back we’ll have a lawn.

I’ve made some plans for fruit, vegetables and bulbs, but first we need to get rid of the mud.

We have lost sunlight on the south side of the garden due to trees the neighbors have planted. Last year I deweeded a bed along the north fence and created a new asparagus bed.
This year I am claiming more lawn on the north side of the gaeden and rearranging all the beds. New potato bed (double dug), and any former path needs a double dig. Main path through the garden is now in the shade on the south.
A load of composted horse manure is also getting incorporated.
I hurt from head to toes. Aching back and a few blisters. But I am deternined to get it done so the beds can rest until planting time.
Weather is so weird. Mid March in Connecticut and temps in the low 60s. So confusing.

2 Likes

The chive has started growing! Everything else looks kind of dead, but I have plans for some veggies.

2 Likes

The first sign of spring!! What are your plans?

We currently don’t have a garden (a digger that had to drive through the backyard destroyed everything) but we’re going to fix that this year. We’ll probably not have raised beds yet but I’m thinking of growing some plants in pots instead.

I have some saved seeds from runner beans and wax beans from last years, and I think there are still some in the old seed packet too. I rarely plant it all.

This year I bought two varieties of heritage beans from Halland Sweden from a seed bank. One’s a sugar pea, the other I don’t remember. One flower cress that’ll hopefully brighten things up too.

Maybe some carrots if I can be bothered to plant some. I got a pack of spinach seeds when getting the heirloom stuff, but we’ll see how that goes.

We’re also adding three varieties of honeyberry to the garden. Aurora, Strawberry sensation and Blue rock I think.

1 Like

Reorganizing the garden to gain sun space. The neighbors trees are shading out the south side.

Redigging beds, moving paths, digging in composted horse manure.

The arches will have beans, peas, tomatoes, cukes and whatever else we may grow. It’s only March and we still have time to finish the reorganizing. The arches are 16 ft x 52 inch stock fencing. A pain to get home but easy to install. We want to add some chairs and a table with wine and cheese under the arch in summer.

2 Likes

I always try to garden almost every year, but I must have a black thumb because I’m not usually successful. I’m down South in Texas, and we deal with droughts and 100+ F weather, and it becomes very difficult to grow over the summer. Still, I keep trying and I did manage to keep a rose bush from dying last year (I lost its neighbor, though)! I am also trying beans, cantaloupe, peppers, and a few other things from seed. I had to invest in some bird netting this year because those jerks eat EVERYTHING. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Are there any native edible plants that might do better for you?

I’m not sure yet, but I am trying various things, including native plants. I have collected some yucca seeds that I’m reasonably sure should do well, and I’ve been taking notes from successful gardens around me.

One of the other things I’m trying is increasing the non-veggie plants in my yard, to hopefully diversify and attract different types of predators/pests. Maybe give the wildlife something else to target!

2 Likes

I grow vegetables and herbs every year, not a lot, but we have enough. this year tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. I want to make raised beds, but next year, my neighbors have such beds, it’s very convenient.

3 Likes

I started these today! The jar on the right was a gift, you water from the top and four different kitchen herbs are supposed to grow from the sides.

The other seeds are various types of squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and sweet pepper. The tomato and pepper seeds are varieties that grow in the shape of a small bush. We used to have raised beds but our garden won’t be ready for veggies this year. I need to make a phonecall this week, but we hope to have the holes filled in and the path and patio laid out before summer.

4 Likes

Progress :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Every year I say I’m not gardening but here we are in the car with chives 2 more blueberry bushes, a strawberry & 4 pineberries.

There’s edging & dirt in the back. What is even wrong with me?

4 Likes

Out here in the yard giving myself a dirt manicure, lol

Rhubarb from the neighbour added to the berries & chives. Now we’ll just need fencing to keep the dog out. I saw some simple wire stuff at the dollar store. Hoping that & tulle will protect things & maybe we’ll even see some fruit this year, that would be amazing.

3 Likes

Every year…

And also…

4 Likes