Is anyone growing veggies?

Yup, that’s my fingernails too. Don’t you just love getting your hands into the dirt?

2 Likes

I just cut my fingernails really short :joy:

This is the herb garden a few weeks ago, just after planting some new ones. Left to right:
Parsley
Oregano
Tarragon (a real surviver that comes back year after year)
Fancy basil with red leaves (front)
Chives (back)

The chives also grow back after the winter. I’ve started to find new tufts of chives in that planter. It’s just so nice to get something fresh and green in early spring. Later in the season the bumblebees enjoy the flowers.

This was early spring when it first started growing:

3 Likes

Hilled up the potatoes and added straw. I also weeded the new asparagus and strawberry bed and mulched with straw.
We have been having salads and tonight will saute up some garlic scapes. I love it when the garden starts feeding us.
Unfortunately the rabbits or ground hog decimated the peas.

5 Likes

Vegtrugs are actually doing better than I expected. Planted late with seedling leftovers from the very last minute 99 cent sale of the season!

Self-seeded amaranth is already monsterous in the dirt hole that used to be a garage. I’ll shake these seeds all over the neighbourhood this autumn so they go wild everywhere. They are spectacular.

Some dirtbag neighbour has been driving their car down our section of alleyway & completely trampling the raspberry cane, hostas, & lilies. Go around! We are in the very middle of the lane with no parking nearby & there’s an entrance on either end so this is some sort of sh!tty maliciousness, ugh.

5 Likes

Some people just hate plants and think they’re actually doing the world a favour by destroying them.

I hardly ever see anyone using the alleyway here but the times I’ve tried to grow anything there, they were still destroyed. We’ve had some change in neighbours so I might try again next year.

1 Like

The garden have started delivering!

Fresh cucumber for dinner.

Tiny carrots. I’m harvesting those that grow too close to other carrots. I could have thinned them out earlier, but it feels like win-win when I can eat the small carrots instead of throwing away tiny ones.

The snow peas are coming along nicely. It’s an old swedish heritage variety.

The flower cress is nice too, but I planted it by mistake. Dropped a seed when potting the rest of them probably. The purposely planted ones have much smaller leaves, but I guess they got worse soil.

6 Likes

The volunteer amaranth is reaching peak rudeness

5 Likes

Battling ground hogs, squirrels, and rabbits this year. The ground hogs are the worst. They have decimated the peas and half the green beans, ruined tomatoes at the brink of ripeness, eaten all the kale, chewed the tops off of kohlrabis and carrots. We now have 2 foot chicken wire fences around the most vunerable plants. The beans are now thriving, the peas replanted, and most things are recovering. Gardening is always an adventure.
But we’ve been eating very well this summer. No one but us humans like the summer squash!

5 Likes

I’m feeding the hungry, hungry caterpillars. :laughing: they’ve completely decimated the flower cress, but it was pretty for a good while so it’s ok.

2 Likes