Jemimah's Watercolor Planet Bird Zoom Class

Processing: 864E1115-7EAA-480F-B494-3FE682AF67AF.jpeg…

Who is ready for a little sunshine, sweet birdies and a Zoom class? I know I am! This time around our wonderful @jemimah is going to show us how to use those watercolor paints you received over the holidays.

Class Date: February 19th at 3.00pm EST and 12.00pm PST

How the class will be held: Zoom, with @kittykill Moderating. Participants will also receive a PDF with a supply list and directions so they can follow along.

Class Limit: 20 people

Class Details: “Planet Bird”
In this beginner-friendly session, we’ll be painting cute birds, three different ways, and trying out various ideas with watercolours.
The session is aimed at having fun with your watercolours. There’s no pressure to make one picture that looks like the instructions. There’ll be a bunch of ideas to try out, on three (or more!) small pieces.
We’ll work with simple shapes - you can draw your own birds and planets freehand, or cut out cardboard templates to play with.

Cost of Class: The class fee to LC will be $5.

To Sign Up: Please PM kittykill with the following information:
Your user name:
Your real name:
Your email address:
After signing up, you will be sent an invoice via PayPal to pay for the class. Payment is due by February 17th… If payment is not made by then, you will be removed from the list and your spot will be filled from the wait list.

Participants:
photojenn
Magpie
pigeon
craftADDchick
marionberries
skrutt
Cindy
Abbeeroad
geekgirl
kwality570
Lynx2Lancer
Geekybookworm
Bunny1kenobi
Kayrun
anna.wahnsinn
loves2experiment
Riechan

Signed up for class but taking at later date:
Edel
MistressJennie

22 Likes

Yay, I’ve been waiting for @jemimah’s class! This looks like so much fun!

1 Like

Sign me up! Woo hoo!

1 Like

What a wonderful class offering!

1 Like

Oh! Oh! Oh! I want to do this SOOOOO bad! Let me figure out some things and get back on this!

PS. It’s because I’m job hunting. Also gotta check our calendar with my hubby before I commit.

2 Likes

Well feck it anyway. I’m already double booked that day.

2 Likes

Lol. Just realized I’m booked that day too. Glad it will be recorded so I can watch later.

1 Like

I have an all day thing going on (not going anywhere… Zoom in the morning, then evaluating entries for a state bowl which is all online and at my own pace…very tedious) so this will be the perfect excuse to take a break!

2 Likes

Ooh, this sounds fun!

1 Like

Oh, I can’t wait to see what majesty comes out of this class!

1 Like

Oh this looks like fun! Guess I’ll have to buy some water colours beforehand :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder to do that! I just bought an inexpensive set. I think I have some paper on hand, too.

I’m really looking forward to this!

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to our session playing with watercolours!

3 Likes

I will be signing up! But I also have a conflict, so won’t be able to join live.

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good watercolor set? Maybe reasonable and “splurge” examples?

2 Likes

Winsor Newton has a set of 12 colors and a brush for under $20 on Amazon. I was introduced to this set in an art class.

4 Likes

Found it! Thank you!!

2 Likes

I’ve really been loving these half pans from Renesans. One of the instructors recommended them for Fodder School and I just love the colors and how the pigment moves. If you’ve seen any of the watercolor doodle pages in the Art Journal thread, they were all using the Renesans watercolors.

I’ve also seen Daniel Smith watercolors come highly recommended. I recently picked up one of these little tins which seemed like a good way to try out different colors without investing too much. So far I like them but prefer my Renesans.

What I would not recommend is something like this. I found them to be very chalky and they didn’t mix well.

I think you’re better off getting a smaller palette of higher quality watercolors (like the Windsor Newton MissingWillow mentioned above, or Daniel Smith) then getting a large set of cheaper colors. I don’t know a ton about watercolor but my understanding is the higher quality watercolors have smaller pigment size which allows them to blend better and creates a more pleasing effect on the paper.

For brushes, I’d recommend you have at least one dedicated round watercolor brush. I really like the Princeton Heritage brushes and this is a great set to start with. The set is a bit pricey though, so if I was only getting one brush I’d probably get the number 6 round.

I also have this set from Amazon which worked well enough at first but I found the brushes didn’t hold their shape after a while/give the nice sharp points/edges.

I’m really looking forward to hearing what @jemimah recommends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! Awesome info. I didn’t even think about brushes!

3 Likes

here are some I like that are on the “reasonable” side. they have been working well.

I will probably eventually look into some splurge watercolors but I don’t use watercolors as much as acrylics.

Edit - it would help if I add the link

5 Likes