Jemimah's Watercolor Planet Bird Zoom Class

I have signed up too! This sounds like a very fun class :smiley:

1 Like

Great tips and links everyone! I’ll probably end up repeating lots of @photojenn’s advice too. The art shops here don’t have as many different products as you get in the US, and not everything on Amazon ships here, so my experience with different brands is a bit limited.

First of all, this class is going to be about playing and having fun with your watercolours, so there’s no pressure to go and buy anything just for this session. Feel free to use what you have, especially if you’re just giving watercolour try. But if you’re wanting some supplies, I’m happy to share what I like to use.

Tube or pan watercolours?
That’s a personal preference thing, I happily use both. I have more tubes.

Budget choice?
The sets recommended above look good - great to hear they’ve been working well. I’ve used Winsor & Newton’s Cotman range - it’s a classic, good quality brand.

I think Jenn is quite right, if your budget is tight I would recommend getting a smaller number of colours in a higher quality.

Splurge choices?
You don’t have to stick to one brand or get a set, although there are some lovely sets - look for what colours appeal to you. I use Daniel Smith, Winsor & Newton Professional, and Sennelier. They are pricey - I spend many hours with my watercolours so they are worth it for me (Use the good stuff! as the wise sage says), but if you just want to have a go and experiment, you certainly don’t need to spend that much. Watercolour goes a long way, so you don’t need large tubes.

Which colours?
If you want to pick out individual tubes/pans, rather than a set, there are a number of different approaches. There are a lot of recommendations on Pinterest you might like to explore (PM me if you want some links). One approach is to get a cool red, warm red, cool blue, warm blue, cool yellow, warm yellow, and a couple of greens and earthy pigments. Traditionalists say you should never use black or white, others say there are no rules! (Personally, I really love Daniel Smith Lunar Black, it does amazing effects.) Another palette approach is to use just three primaries - primary magenta, primary yellow, and primary cyan - you can mix all colours with these. Or, you can just choose a few colours you really like, and add new colours as you go.

It does depend on what you want to paint. If you want to paint in a more traditional/realistic style, a traditional palette is a great choice. Otherwise, look at art you like for inspiration, and see what colours the artist uses.

My own collection has evolved very eclectically, a tube or two at a time. I’m happy to share what particular colours I like and why.

When you’re getting into the more technical stuff, there’s also a whole world to explore about granulating vs. non-granulating, staining vs. non staining, single pigments, lightfastness, etc. etc. happy to share more about that too, if anyone’s interested.

For adding white details and highlights, I find that white gouache, white acrylic, or a good white gel pen are easiest to use, as they are more opaque than white watercolour.

Brushes?
Great advice from Jenn to have a couple of brushes that you save just for watercolour.

I prefer to use synthetic. Princeton (Neptune range) and Da Vinci (Casaneo range) are great brands that make synthetics that perform like traditional squirrel - these are nice but can be a bit splurgey. I also use cheapish synthetic taklon brushes a lot.

For the class, it would be good to have a medium size round brush or two, and a smallish brush that can do a sharp point and a thin line. I’ve been using a medium quill brush, and a number 4 round for the examples, but don’t feel like you need the particular size, or lots of brushes - just pick a couple that feel right for you. I also like using Chinese calligraphy brushes, and small dagger shaped brushes. A cheap fan brush or an old toothbrush are great for splatters.

Paper?
This can also be a personal preference thing, it’s good to try a few different brands over time. I would recommend a watercolour paper, cold press, 300gsm/140lb. The thicker weight means it won’t buckle much when wet. I like using Canson, Hahnemuehle, Fabriano, but I’m sure you guys have many more brands to choose from than are available here.

Cold press is good for a medium texture, so you get some nice variations in wet on wet paint. Hot press is very smooth paper, which is great for detailed, fine work, but less forgiving. I usually use cold press.

This is a fun playing around class, so there’s no need to splurge on fancy cotton paper, and we won’t be doing traditional stretching. I tend to use whatever is on sale at the art store for these small pieces. Again, feel free to use what you’ve got - a mixed media paper, or a thinner watercolour paper will be absolutely fine for this session too.

When you want to make a really special painting, it is worth getting a paper that you really like, and fancy 100% cotton papers are lovely to work on. But for this fun session, a modestly priced watercolour paper is great (I’ll be using das, which is a local brand - student/hobby grade).

Palette?
I have very cheap plastic ones, which I don’t like. I mostly use old white dinner plates. A nice ceramic palette is on my wishlist, but I don’t have one yet.

Other useful things?
Two water jars - one dirty, one clean. A cheap plastic eyedropper for adding clean water (optional). Paper towels or a non-fluffy cloth rag for wiping your brush. Cardboard box for doing splatters in (to save getting paint on your keyboard/carpet/cat).

I’ll add more if I think of anything else :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Looking forward to this!

I’ve been using Canson XL Watercolor paper (140lb/300g) and recently tried some Fabriano Studio watercolor paper (90lb/200g, cold press). The Fabriano is thinner and better for folding and sticking in my journal. I don’t know enough to know what to look for in a ‘good’ paper or the difference between cold/hot press paper.

1 Like

LOL! This is very similar to the set that I just picked up! I didn’t want to invest in a decent set if I don’t have the knack for it. My sister is a fantastic watercolor artist, so I’ve always been a bit intimidated… If I show even the slightest aptitude, perhaps I’ll pony up the $$ for a decent set.

1 Like

I’ve found that when I didn’t think I was great in watercolor, but then splurged on some tubes vs pan , I got very inspired!

I just sent in info for @geekybookworm and me to play.

5 Likes

Nice! @Pigeon & I will be there too, how fun :slight_smile:

6 Likes

When I did watercolor, I used Windsor Newton and liked them very much! I had a ceramic palette and tubes of the primary colors and others that you really can’t create by mixing colors.
I also knew artists who did not like Windsor Newton - so it can be a very personal choice even among the quality watercolors.

Good brushes make a HUGE difference and, if you plan on ever doing anything more with watercolor, are worth the price. Watercolor brushes should last and last and last! (unlike my brushes for oil painting that wouldn’t even survive one painting :wink: )

1 Like

I am signed up to this, but unfortunately won’t make it in person, I am looking forward to the recording though.

Personally I like the half pan windsor and newton colors, they last forever. This is similar to a set I have (mine has fewer colours and really it is all you need)
Amazon.com: Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Colour Paint Compact Set, Set of 14, Half Pans
Pretty cheap at about $22, the reason I prefer them to tubes is because the tubes can dry out, but these little pans last.

Also if you have tubes that have dried out, you can cut them open and used the dried paint like a solid pan of colour (this only works with watercolours, not acrylics, sadly)

5 Likes

This is perfect timing because I just got a new set of what I hope to be awesome watercolors. I got this set for a steal:

I will be signing up to hear and see all of Jemimah’s tips and tricks (and amazing accent). :smiley:

3 Likes

I have edited my post above to add some more info on paper etc., and keep it all in one place.

I still have some of my grandfather’s brushes! :art: :sparkling_heart:

LOL! silly accent provided at no extra cost :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That looks like a good set @Kwality570 - I got some Kuretake markers recently and really like them.

8 Likes

That’s great to have some of your grandfather’s brushes!! How special!!

Water is pretty gentle on brushes and watercolor isn’t an “abrasive” medium. You’re literally floating the color over the paper so the wear and tear on brushes is very small!

2 Likes

this looks like such fun! I’m signing up & marking my calendar –

2 Likes

I just remembered another brand that I see people using all of the time are the Prima Marketing Watercolor Confection sets. I haven’t used them yet (although I may have a set coming from Amazon tomorrow…) but they seem to have nice palettes at a reasonable price point.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to this, and I’ve just signed up too. I should even be able to join the zoom this time, 3pm EST should be 9pm MEZ and we’re closing early on Saturdays.

I’m very excited to see if I can do some painting with what I have in my stash – a tiny Lukas box with 12 half pans (that claim to be ‘moist artists’ paint’) and a Pelikan box that looks like kids paints but has “Feine Studien Aquarellfarbe” on it. Both have been in my possession for more than 25 years now, as is the paper that has to be around here somewhere. Knew I was saving these for a good reason!

5 Likes

Hi all! I sent out the invite for the class and the pdf to everyone via email. You should have it in a few minutes. If you don’t have it by tomorrow, please let me know.

7 Likes

I hope I’m not too late to join as well? I just sent my information.

You can still join! I will send out the invoice today.

1 Like

Oh I’m sorry I’m making this difficult… Can I join too? :relaxed:

3 Likes

Absolutely! Sign ups are good until tomorrow but you can really join any time.

2 Likes

yay! I hope I get to see you at least to wave at you in zoom :slight_smile:

1 Like