Jersey knit dress

I made myself a dress. I got the pattern from DG Patterns on Etsy.

For the most part, it was easy to follow; I might have struggled if I was new to sewing as the instructions were sparse.

The measurements I felt were off. I went off my bust measurement and made sure the settings were set at actual size before printing. I probably could have gone down at least two sizes to fit the way it’s intended. I ended up deciding it’s a dress to be belted.

You can’t see the print but it’s really pretty.

23 Likes

Beautiful fabric choice! I think it looks great with the belt, too… it gives it a little bit of edge.

1 Like

It’s super cute and looks great with a belt!

1 Like

Cute and versatile dress! I like it when you can make a dress really casual and comfortable. You look terrific!

1 Like

Lovely fabric, and great dress! It looks nice belted.

1 Like

This turned out cute!

1 Like

Really pretty! So versatile and accessible. And the fabric is beautiful.

1 Like

:tada: :dizzy: Congratulations! This spectacular project is featured this week! :dizzy: :tada:

1 Like

Darling! And it’s nice that you made something for yourself!

2 Likes

Love it with the leggings and belt! The fabric looks so pretty.

1 Like

That’s a great fabric! I love the drape on you too. The oversized look with the belt is a great fashion choice! Adorable!

1 Like

so cute!
I’m impressed!

1 Like

I love the print; are they poppies? You did a great job with the dress and you look great in it! I would love to learn to sew some day and make my own clothes; I admire anyone who can do this. At the moment just looking at a sewing machine intimidates me lol

1 Like

It’s really cute and I love the way you styled it! The fabric is great.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a lovely dress! Beautiful!

1 Like

You know I’m not sure if they’re poppies or not; the listing described them as tiny florals. Hah. I just though the print was pretty.

Sewing can be intimidating for sure but I started with forgiving fabric and simple patterns. For example, I loved working with fleece because it doesn’t fray and if you buy the right one, the stretch can be minimal as compared to a Jersey knit. Patterns with only a few pieces and simple structure are good for beginners as well. I also love small projects that can be finished in a day or two - - great for building confidence.

I rarely tackle clothing for myself although lately I’ve really been motivated to do so. I’ve been breaking into down into phases so I don’t get overwhelmed: prepping (cutting out the paper pattern, gathering supplies), cutting fabric, and sewing. So it takes me a minimum of at least 3 days to complete a project. :heart:

3 Likes

My sister was here visiting over the weekend and was remembering the clothes I sewed for her when we were in high school and college. You remember the ones you make and not necessarily the ones you buy.

You are doing great…hope to see more of your own creations. It is a lifelong hobby that will bring you much joy!

3 Likes

There’s nothing quite like wearing something you made for yourself! Especially if it looks as good as this dress does on you!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice!

There’s this online course for sewing for beginners that the library has posted through LinkedIn learning. Perhaps that will be something for me to start with in the new year. They even have a sewing machine at the library in the makerspace that I could potentially use before investing in something.

1 Like