Kinetic Non-Swap (Craftalong)

Cool! I like how you figured out to make her wiggle!

1 Like

She’s so clever! I like the simple, yet effective movement.

I will have to check out this show.

1 Like

Search YouTube for Weeki Wachee.

How did I miss this project? Ack!

Wow! It’s impressive!

In a blatant attempt at extra credit points, I have a second entry!
video in motion:
https://wingsnthings.tripod.com/pictures/catsmore.htm

Mt. Catsmore

The mechanism that rotates the heads and sets the tails swinging:

Designed in Tinkercad, 3d printed, and joined with jump rings and head pins.
I’m getting the hang of moving toys! Thanks so much for the inspiration!
Next project; figure out how to make and upload video.

More pix at Mt. Catsmore

9 Likes

This is such a cool project! It’s so clever and I just love those cat faces you’ve made!

1 Like

The little kitty tails hanging down! Hahaha! That is so clever!!

1 Like

That is awesome!!! I’ve been ill (not COVID), and haven’t finished my project. But I was looking at it earlier today, and I’m going to try to finish it by tomorrow.

Anyone else still working?

1 Like

I’m hoping to assemble at least one model from my kit this week. And, for a STEM/STEAM project in 2 weeks, my students will have to design and build a kinetic model of some sort. It can be anything, as long as it moves. Then, I might introduce more formal mechanisms.

1 Like

Hey, that’s cool! Can’t wait to learn more about your project, and about what your students make.

I put together the Pegasus automaton kit I bought a few weeks ago.

I still might paint and decorate it… or maybe not. We’ll see.

It was faster to put together that I thought (although the diagram had one error that threw me off for a while). About 1.5 hours, taking my time and not hurrying.

If you want to see it in action, I’ve included a link below. (I have no affiliation with this company.)

3 Likes

It’s so much bigger than I expected it to be! I’m surprised you finished it so quickly. It’s awesome. Thanks for the link. It moves beautifully.

1 Like

I’m hoping that they come up with some creative projects!

And, that Pegasus is amazing. It’s so cool how they make such an elegant model with a relatively simple mechanism. That’s for posting the link to how it moves!

1 Like

Just realized I have had this book for awhile & never shared! It is good. Intelligent instructions, good diagrams & labeling, and teaches you about the machinery involved.

6 Likes

This book is a dream!

1 Like

Yeah, it looks awesome!

1 Like

I googled that book and found some PDFs, looks like they are FREE!!!

3 Likes

That’s cool that they offer free PDFs!

It was suggested that y’all would like the Flapping Pterasaur that I sent my partner in the Dino Swap.
Concept

Finished

If you tug the bead, it is supposed to flap for a little while due to balance and counterbalance. Somehow I managed to me the balances up a bit on the last step so it only flaps when being actively tugged. :roll_eyes: Maybe I’ll try again some day.

11 Likes

Ooooh, just spotted this craftalong and now I’ll have to play. I love making automata. If you haven’t found it yet, Rob Ives is another amazing source of both inspiration and how-to.

3 Likes